Spare ribs and pineapple chunks?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I have some ribs I want to cook up and I also have some leftover pineapple chunks in the frig. What do you think if I foiled the ribs after a couple of hour and put crushed pineapple chunks with a liquid (I was thinking about dry sherry) until the ribs are tender. Then I would cook the ribs more just to firm them up. Do you think that would be too sweet? The rub I make has three different kinds of chiles. I am kind of tired cooking ribs the same way over and over again. I need to add a little tweek to the recipe.

Dave,

Pineapple and ribs go very well together. All pork does for that matter. To avoid making the ribs overly sweet, I'd use some of the juice (if it's pure juice; no added sugar)to make a finishing sauce. Cook the ribs per your standard method then brush on the finishing sauce in the last 5 minutes of cooking. This will give you some pineapple flavor without going overboard. If you add juice and pineapple chunks to the ribs and then foil; you risk the ribs coming out mushy. Pineapple contains an enzyme that breaks down the connective tissue in meat.

Paul

The enzyme, bromelain, is broken down by pasteurization. So, only fresh or frozen pineapple, or fresh pineapple juice should be avoided.

I know it's not exactly what you're working with, but I used this sauce on the the last set of spares I cooked, and it was awesome:

* 1 pineapple; skinned, cored, and cut into large chunks
* 6 cups beef stock
* 2 cups ketchup
* ¼ cup soy sauce
* ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
* ¼ cup molasses
* 1, 8 oz. jar of Chinese hot mustard
* 1 tablespoon Tapatio or other hot sauce
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 2 bay leaves

Preparation

On a hot grill or in a hot sauté pan, char the pineapple until dark brown. Set aside and let cool, then dice into large chunks.

In a large saucepan, bring the beef stock to a boil; when it is boiling, whisk in all the remaining ingredients (except for the pineapple). Bring it back to a boil and add the pineapple chunks; reduce to a simmer and let cook uncovered for 30-45 minutes or until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove the bay leaves, puree the sauce and then force it through a fine strainer to remove any of the pineapple fibers.

Thanks for the heads up about the pineapple. I hate mushy ribs. This idea is shot anyway. My wife mixed blueberries with the pineapple last night to make a fruit salad and I hate blueberries. Here is my next brainstorm. I asked this on another forum. I have a half bottle of Trader Joes BBQ sauce and I was thinking about mixing it 50-50 with dry sherry and about 1/4 cup of cider vinegar and reducing it. I love sherry and I love vinegary sauces like the #5 sauce. What do you think?

Dave, have you tried using the BRITU method that's listed in the recipe section. Works for me even where regular pork spare ribs are concerned.

The very first rack of ribs I did a couple of years ago was the BRITU recipe and I didn't like it. Since then I make my own rub using different chiles. What I did last night was foil the ribs after 3 hrs. for about 45 minutes with a splash each of dry sherry and cidar vinegar. Then put them back on the grill unfoiled until almost done. The last 15 minutes I brushed on a very thin coating (more like a glaze) of BBQ sauce made of 1 cup leftover Trader Joes sauce, 1/4 cup dry sherry and 2 heaping TBLS. horseradish that was reduced. I think they were the best ribs I ever made and my wife went nuts over them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
The very first rack of ribs I did a couple of years ago was the BRITU recipe and I didn't like it. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Using the BRITU method, were those ribs dry?

No, they were wet. From then on I only did dry ribs or just a lite glaze on them. I prefer to serve the sauce on the side and let the guests put as much as they want on the ribs. Plus I think the whole process of flipping the ribs is unnecessary and the sauce is too sweet for me.

Back