broken regulator

kc mccallum

Hello i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
I bought a q100 when i first used it I thought I heard a leak so i removed the lp gas bottle (16 oz). When it came off the pin that pierces the gas bottle came off and the whole bottle discharged in my hands. I returned the grill to target for a new one. This time after my first time cooking I again went to remove the gas bottle and the pin came out again and discharged a second bottle. Weber is sending me a new regulator for this grill but i have lost some faith in the product. What am i doing wrong?

I don't think that you are doing anything wrong, but when you are putting the 16oz cylinder on are you over tightening it? It should be snug and then 3/4 of a turn.

no problems here. be carefull while putting the bottle on. you should keep the bottle straight on to the threads. any misalignment will probbably break off the pin as the pin goes in first while there is no support for the bottle.

Thank you for the advice.
I feel like I have not overtightened the bottles and they both threaded on perfectly. I have used a green coleman two burner stove for many years and have never encountered any thing like this.
Is it a terrible idea to leave a cylinder on between uses?
I am wonder ing if it had something to do with using brand new cylinders both times. I didn't run the first tank for more than 45 seconds because I thought I heard a leak. With the second new grill and new gas I preheated the grill and cooked twice for 15 min or so. After cooling down I took the bottle off and the pin came out again.
Thanks for the help. KC

Oh no, because I just ordered and installed a new regulator on my Q200. However, I took the cylinder off and installed the hose to the 20 lb tank. I think that I'll take the hose off tomrrow to see if the pin comes with it.

Back