Nu Temp 701 Wireless Remote Thermometer

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
For smoking more than one piece of meat, I need another wireless thermometer in addition to the Maverick ET73 that I already own. Is there any reason not to get the Nu Temp 701 Wireless Remote Thermometer listed here:

http://nu-temp.com/701.htm

I don't have one but after looking at the pic of it I don't see a probe. Just some kind of small knob or something. Does this check the meat or just grate temp? How would the knob go into the meat very far?

Confused on this one.

The picture above just doesn't show the probe, but does show the cable.

I have had 3 of the Nu-Temp 701 for at least 5 years and I'm very pleased with them. The only thing mine do not have is an on-off switch to save battery life (unless they have put that in since I bought mine). Mine transmits about 30 feet to a receiver inside my house, through brick and glass---I see that they say 100 feet. One receiver will monitor 3 Nu-Temp probes and transmitters and the display can either receive just one probe or can cycle through all of them.

I see that they are offering a free second transmitter. That's nice. I'd buy them again if something happened to mine.

Rita

Edit: Changed model number to 701, the correct number.

Thanks from me at least. Is the probe attached to the cables or are they seperate? If attached you'd think it show on the cable.

Chuck, my probes are attached to flexible metal-coated cables. From the picture, it looks as if the cables have been upgraded to a flexible high-heat plastic of some sort.

There are some probes like my 701 (scroll down) at:
http://nu-temp.com/replace.htm

You can contact them to ask. They are very nice on the phone. Emails don't seem to get as much attention.

Here is the toll-free number I've used in the past:
1 (800) 545-3957

Rita

Changed model number to 701, the correct number.

Hi all-

I just looked at the web page that Rita linked. From the product titles it says that the model 601 is an air and water remote thermometer. I think that the model 701 is the thermometer that you would want to buy for your barbecue.

Frank, I'm so glad you posted. I was wondering about that myself, so I actually went out and looked at my receiver (I have my WSM running right now). It says 701! The transmitters have no I.D. I'm sorry for the mixup on my part.
icon_redface.gif

The 701 is further down the page that I posted above; just scroll down. But here is a better link:

http://nu-temp.com/701.htm

Rita, who should engage brain before opening mouth

I have the Nu-Temp with three transmitters, and it has always worked very reliably for me. My only complaint is how the base communicates with the remotes. You can't just make one remote always be #1, and another always #2. It seems to depend on the order in which the base establishes a wireless link with the remotes, which can change every time you turn the unit on. I've used it to monitor cooking temperature, and two pieces of meat, at the same time - it can be very difficult to determine which temperature goes with which piece of meat.

Originally posted by Frank S:
I think that the model 701 is the thermometer that you would want to buy for your barbecue.
Correct and good catch Frank. The RX (base) unit is the 701 and the TX (transmit) units are the 751. I have one RX and 2 TX units. The probe wires are braided stainless steel wires. Order some extra probes when yoy place your order. I've gone through a few over the years. I've had my Nu-Temps for over 6 years now and would buy again if mine ever failed. Never had a problem with them. Only time I have problems is I seem to always drop a probe over water. Never drop one on the floor, or on the ground, always over a sink of water.
icon_mad.gif
YMMV.

I have the Nu-Temp with three transmitters, and it has always worked very reliably for me. My only complaint is how the base communicates with the remotes. You can't just make one remote always be #1, and another always #2. It seems to depend on the order in which the base establishes a wireless link with the remotes, which can change every time you turn the unit on. I've used it to monitor cooking temperature, and two pieces of meat, at the same time - it can be very difficult to determine which temperature goes with which piece of meat.

Larry-

I don't have a Nu-Temp, so this is more of a question than a suggestion. If you turn on one of the transmitters and let it establish communications with the receiver, then turn on the second transmitter and let it do the same, wouldn't that fix your problem. I'm assuming that when you turn on the first transmitter, no matter which one you turn on first, the receiver recognizes it as transmitter #1. Am I correct or is my logic missing something?

I just modified the title to this thread. It's the model 701 and not 601 (the latter measures amibient temps). And here's the reply to my inquiry the Nu Temp just emailed:

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your email and interest in our NU-701 Simple Wireless BBQ
Thermometer.

Please note that you can measure both chamber as well as meat temps, as
mentioned.

If you wish to monitor both at the smae time, you can purchase an additional
NU-751 Remote Sensor w/ Probe; the NU-701 Simple Wireless BBQ Thermometer
includes (1) remote sensor w/ probe and (1) receiver.

Any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

Thank you,

David Link
nu-temp.com

If you turn on one of the transmitters and let it establish communications with the receiver, then turn on the second transmitter and let it do the same, wouldn't that fix your problem. I'm assuming that when you turn on the first transmitter, no matter which one you turn on first, the receiver recognizes it as transmitter #1. Am I correct or is my logic missing something?
Frank, the only small minus with the Nu-Temps, is that they don't turn off and on. If you want to turn it off, you have to take off the back cover (4 smal screws) and pop out the batteries. I use rechargeables, so not really an issue with battery life for me.

I'm shouting. WHAT THE BLAZES IS IT WITH remote thermometer manufacturers that they can't simply install a simple on/off switch into the darned unit rather than making us remove 4 screws or a simple access panel to turn it off. WHAT THE BLAZES IS IT??????????

The previous post has literally chased me away from the nutemp (lower case deliberate) to look at the other popular manufacturers like Maverick and Polder. ...removal of 4 screws....Haruuumph. 8(

Originally posted by Frank S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have the Nu-Temp with three transmitters, and it has always worked very reliably for me. My only complaint is how the base communicates with the remotes. You can't just make one remote always be #1, and another always #2. It seems to depend on the order in which the base establishes a wireless link with the remotes, which can change every time you turn the unit on. I've used it to monitor cooking temperature, and two pieces of meat, at the same time - it can be very difficult to determine which temperature goes with which piece of meat.

Larry-

I don't have a Nu-Temp, so this is more of a question than a suggestion. If you turn on one of the transmitters and let it establish communications with the receiver, then turn on the second transmitter and let it do the same, wouldn't that fix your problem. I'm assuming that when you turn on the first transmitter, no matter which one you turn on first, the receiver recognizes it as transmitter #1. Am I correct or is my logic missing something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you are correct (I haven't used the NuTemp in some time, so I may not remember correctly). But it also seems to me that if the base loses communication with Remote #1 for some reason, and then re-establishes it, what was #1 might now be #3. Again, I may be remembering incorrectly.

Originally posted by tjkoko:
I'm shouting. WHAT THE BLAZES IS IT WITH remote thermometer manufacturers that they can't simply install a simple on/off switch into the darned unit rather than making us remove 4 screws or a simple access panel to turn it off. WHAT THE BLAZES IS IT??????????

The previous post has literally chased me away from the nutemp (lower case deliberate) to look at the other popular manufacturers like Maverick and Polder. ...removal of 4 screws....Haruuumph. 8(
Really a non issue, but yes it is too some. I agree, how hard would it be for an on off switch. That said my Polder doesn't have one either. The batteries last about a year in the Nu-Temps, so no big deal in my book.
icon_smile.gif

Larry, you are remembering correctly. I've had my Nu-Temps switch channels on me too, even when I have not moved the transmitter and receiver.

I've gotten to where I only monitor the lid temperature with my Nu-Temp for most of the cook. When the meat is close to being done I'll either check it occasionally with my Thermapen or insert a Nu-Temp probe at that time.

Bryan, your Nu-Temp batteries last a year? Lucky you. Not mine. 6 months would be good for mine. Sometimes the display fades, but then becomes legible again. Odd.

Rita

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Larry, you are remembering correctly. I've had my Nu-Temps switch channels on me too, even when I have not moved the transmitter and receiver.

I think I've had that happen so that the "fire" probe was switched to a channel where I had set the alarm at 195 degrees (to monitor the meat) - resulting in a false alarm. Since I got a Stoker, I haven't used the NuTemp very much.

I ended up purchasing another Maverick ET73 since I don't have the time to deal with removing 4 screws each time it's used.

Over all I have been very happy with my Nu Temp set. The batteries for me last about a year or more. I live in Minnesota and the remote displays have been in -30 and +90 and they still work. I finally have to get a new set because the 751 are just to beat up. Going to see if the promotion is still good.
http://nu-temp.com/tvwb/

Back