Grilled Stuffed Skirt Steaks

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Skirt Steaks are our favorite cut of beef...always looking for new ways of preparing them. This one is a keeper.

Skirts cut, pounded out, stuffed with country ham (the recipe called for prosciutto but we had leftover country ham), gruyere cheese (the recipe called for provolone but we had leftover gruyere) and sage leaves, then rolled into little bundles of goodness and tied. Asparagus as a side and a poblano for some guac for tomorrow night's meal.

IMG_2935.jpg

On for a reverse sear.

IMG_2938.jpg

"Grass" on.

IMG_2939.jpg

Everything off.

IMG_2940.jpg

Plated.

IMG_2941.jpg

Great meal. Very sage-y, which was fantastic.

Love Spring!!

As an aside, I was charring the poblano and it was pretty flat (doesn't look like it in the pic but it was) so I needed something to rest it on to get the sides good and black. I used a chunk of cherry. To my surprise it smoldered and covered the pepper with a good amount of smoke. Don't know if it will add anything but we'll see tomorrow.

IMG_2937.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Wow Don, that stuffed skirt looks great. I love the idea. Any chance you have a cut/cross-section photo of one of 'em?
I think a lime juice/chipotle/Mexican oregano marinade on a grilled skirt makes the very best fajitas, btw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Any chance you have a cut/cross-section photo of one of 'em? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, sorry, Gary. I started eating and never looked back. Didn't get a chance to snap a pic during the meal. It turned out great...10-15 minutes or so for the indirect and 1-2 for the sear. Med-rare to rare in the center...perfect, IMO.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Did you switch from St. Pauli Girl to PBR during the cook? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too funny! Yeah, I did. I had 3 girls in the fridge and 6 or so PBRs. A long and storied tradition of getting PBR for "Opening Day" was started long ago while in college. The girls were left over form the weekend and the PBRs from last night's <span class="ev_code_RED">Sox</span> decimation of the Empire...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitch Josey:
Gotta ask, where did you get your little basket from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was a Christmas gift and was bought at William Sonoma. A quick search on their site returned no results. But I did find this from a Google search.

http://www.kaboodle.com/review...-grill-top-chefs-pan

I love it too!

Don, you are A KING!
Honestly, you KICK@$$!
Your light lunches and tonight's meals are absolutely nothing short of Spectacular!!!
Seriously I'm thinking you need a show on PBS or the Food Network.
Incredible!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Don, you are A KING!
Honestly, you KICK@$$!
Your light lunches and tonight's meals are absolutely nothing short of Spectacular!!!
Seriously I'm thinking you need a show on PBS or the Food Network.
Incredible! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, Jim. That's incredibly nice of you to say. Truth be told, my wife is the genius behind most of these cooks. As I've said before, I'm just the monkey in front of the grill...
icon_eek.gif
When it's "all me" it's me following a recipe, usually to the letter. I have a huge admiration for those that come up with their own recipes. I'm not too good at that. I read any and all post from Kevin Kruger, no matter the topic. He is a wealth of knowledge and has taught me more in the short time that I've been a member here than 10 years of trial and error!!

...i've seen husband and wife teams hosting their own television cook shows...
Don't go too light on yourself Don, your plates look magazine quality ready!
icon_wink.gif

...now, I'm gonna bump your post with a brat
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitch Josey:
Don - thanks for the link to the mesh basket. Is yours 12" diameter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem. Not sure and I'm at work right now but I'd say that it is about 12" in diameter. One problem I have with it is that with the long handle I can't close the lid on the grill with the pan on. Not usually a big deal but if I'm doing something indirect and want to use the pan too it doesn't work well.

Back