my first smoke

jason.yee

TVWBB Fan
after buying my WSM yesterday i had my first smoke today. ribs with Butt Rub, basted with apple juice and then a light brushing of Tony Roma's Bold&Spicy sauce. tasted pretty darn good. it was cooked to an internal temperature of 176F and then foiled for 30 minutes.

here are some pics...

mg6025v.jpg

mg6026.jpg

mg6027.jpg

mg6030w.jpg

mg6031.jpg

mg6032.jpg

mg6033.jpg

looking forward to my next cook.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Noe:
Nice, the only thing i see wrong is only 1 rack come on man. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol
i wasnt sure how it was going to turn out. if it turned out bad then it would be better to only waste one rack. next week i think my godfather and his wife are coming over so i think i will make two racks and a brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">wasnt sure how it was going to turn out. if it turned out bad then it would be better to only waste one rack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

C'mon man it's a Weber WSM?????????????

Just kiddin, looks great!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Those ribs look scrumptious. Your next smoke for the folks. Ribs sound great! I was told somewhere that before you cook for guests you probably should cook for yourself first. Sounds like brisket for the guests will be your first on the smoker, might do a go round first for you and see how it goes. On the other hand, who are "those guys" that always give us advice?

Happy smokin'

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave O:
Thats a lot of charcoal for one rack of ribs, but they sure do look good </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats what i thought too but these coals burn fast. i actually had to add a few more. weird.

I guess that must be royal oak that burns fast. If you can find kingsford it make a big difference, just follow cooking guide on this site, and you wont have to add any for most cooks. I dont know how hard it is to find kingsford where you are in markham, I know I had a tough time finding it in vancouver, finally found it at home hardware.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave O:
I guess that must be royal oak that burns fast. If you can find kingsford it make a big difference, just follow cooking guide on this site, and you wont have to add any for most cooks. I dont know how hard it is to find kingsford where you are in markham, I know I had a tough time finding it in vancouver, finally found it at home hardware. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ive been looking everywhere for kingsford but nowhere has any. not even home hardware.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R.Fritze:
Hi Jason, Try the Metro food stores. I found some there last night. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how much do they cost there?

I don't remember. I do remember that the price was reasonable. They had two different sizes of the bags and they also carried a large bag of Kingsford Char Wood.

Richard

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R.Fritze:
I don't remember. I do remember that the price was reasonable. They had two different sizes of the bags and they also carried a large bag of Kingsford Char Wood.

Richard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a buddy of mine saw some at his local convenience store and it was around $12 for 9#. there is no way i would pay that much. loblaws is closer to me so i might check them out first. metro would be my last resort.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Harvey:
They just got Kingsford Original briquettes in at Loblaws. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if loblaws has it then maybe no frills would too. i hope they do because there is one right behind my house (i can see it over my fence).

thanks for the info guys. i will check it out this week.

i went to my local loblaws today and found 18lb kingford original for $14.99. that is still expensive considering i can get royal oak for about $8.50 for the same weight. i might just stick with royal oak after im done these two bags of K that i bought.

Back