Food Saver Going Belly Up

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My Food Saver Going Belly Up

My Food Saver vacuum sealer is about done, it won’t automatically shut off anymore and it’s taking a lot longer to suck the air out of the bags.
I have no complaints as we have had it for 2 ½ years and used it a lot. The only issue I have with it even when new I could make and seal (We use rolls) about 5-6 bags before I had to wait about 5 min. to let cool down then maybe I could do 4-5 before I had to let it cool down again.

I’m looking at this one as it will do 80 consecutive seals without a cool down, it’s a bit pricy but I would rather buy something more expensive than replacing a hundred dollar one every couple of years.

http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sea...od-preservation-system/GM710-000.html#start=5

The question is what are your thoughts or is there another brand out there that someone is using that might better fit my needs.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It's only $130 at Amazon...only about $30 more than the one I've had for the last 10 years. The only problem I've ever really had (and what killed our old one) was liquid getting into the suction system. I still don't see how (in those promotional videos) they don't have any moisture getting sucked up, unless the foods they're sealing are either fake or dried. Anyway, my solution now is to simply bag > freeze > seal.

Oh, in terms of other brands, I'd stick with FoodSaver. The only ones I've seen that are significantly better are also significantly more expensive and meant for commercial use. It'd take a LOT of home sealing to offset the cost difference.

We pre-freeze our peas, strawberries and raspberries before bagging, but that's a difficult task when bagging 25 - 1# bags of de-cobbed corn and green beans (plus another 25 quarts canned). My new sealer even sucks out the juices from my pulled pork. :mad: On the good side, it seals even when it's wet. My older one would not seal the bag if it got wet during sealing.

Rich,

This is the one we have, but only 25 consecutive seals and not as portable as the one you listed.

I had seriously looked at that one, actually the previous model / version.

For at least the last couple years Kohl's has offered the FM2110 for a net of ~$25 to $30 after sale price/rebate/kohl's cash during the Christmas shopping season (usually sometime in November). I got one a couple years ago and it's a simpler unit, but can't really complain for the price paid.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1792508/foodsaver-fm2110-vacuum-sealing-system.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=LIA_Kitchen&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=95432494&CID=shopping30&utm_campaignid=305037658&gclid=CPGwn6n7idQCFQwXgQode88JAQ

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I ordered the GM710 from Amazon for $130 and thanks Chad for the heads up about the Amazon price. It seems to fit what I'm looking for and at $70 less than buying it from the Food Saver store was a no brainer.
Thanks Bill for the great idea of freezing before sealing to keep the moisture out of the machine.

The problem with freezing prior to vacuuming is the ice crystals which are more likely to be larger and break down the food structure when returned to heat, just an observation.

Back