Confused by sauce recipes -- need a one I'll like

Matt A 3

TVWBB Member
I am really interested in making my own BBQ sauce, but the recipes I have read differ wildly and I have no idea what will come close to the commercial sauces I like.

My favorite commercial sauces are
- Stubbs original (for pulled pork sandwiches)
- Sweet Baby Rays and KC Masterpiece (for ribs)
- Smoke Daddy (for pulled pork and generally)

Others in my family really like "Bone Suckin' Sauce".

Does someone know of some homemade recipes that result in a product similar to each of the above?

I have read a bilion recipes on this board, in cookbooks and elsewhere, but I have no idea what they will taste like.

Thanks,
Matt

I think I cloned SBR's before but I generally don't save the recipes.

I would suggest not worrying about coming close to any particular sauce (unless you are really looking for a clone) and simply make a sauce that is tweakable in any direction, i.e, amenable to being sweeter or more vinegary, more tomato-y or less, spicier or less --that sort of thing.

You won't have an idea of what anything will taste like without a fair amount of experience cooking, which eventually will get you to a point where you can read a recipe (or create one) and taste it in your head. So, for the moment, try different recipes that skew toward the tomato-based style of the ones you note.

Matt, you may have read the No. 5 sauce recipe. It is both simple and simple to tweak.
If you want more sweet-add the sugar. If you want heat-add cayenne. If you want more robust flavor-add more rub.
In particular I have enjoyed the addition of fruit-dried cherries is my favorite. Also, If you want twang-add more vinegar and/or lemon juice.

Don't be afraid this isn't rocket science. Hope this inspires you....

Back