Georgia > Atlanta: Fox Bros. BBQ

Dan Wicker

TVWBB Fan
Fox Brothers BBQ has had the respect of some of the Atlanta foodies for a couple of years now. I've been meaning to try it, and finally got the chance a couple of weeks ago. The brothers themselves are from Texas, so I would expect excellent brisket, but they do the full BBQ joint menu including pulled pork, brisket, chicken, pork ribs, etc.

The wife had a pulled pork plate with mac and cheese and beans. I had the brisket plate with fries and a Frito pie - not listed on the menu, but for the uninitiated, it's a single-serve bag of Fritos topped with beanless, Texas-style chili, shredded cheddar, and chopped onions.. Fox Bros serves theirs in the bag, which was a neat touch.

First impression: Wife immediately says "I should have ordered the brisket!" Her pulled pork (and to their credit, it was hand-pulled, not chopped like so many other BBQ joints), was dull and lifeless, bark-less, and just kinda bland. Beans were very good as was the mac and cheese. But given the general opinion of this place, the pork was disappointing.

My brisket on the other hand, was out of this world. The rub had a kick to it, and there was a nice vein of fat cap left intact on the three meaty slices. The fries were to die for - skin-on, hand cut, salty, crispy, yet tender. The Frito pie was as expected, awesome.

No room was left for dessert.

I'd highly recommend Fox Brothers BBQ if you're ever in the East Atlanta area, and stick with the beef! Also, the consensus is that their smoked chicken wings are the best wings in all of Atlanta, but I didn't get a chance to try them.

I am a BIG fan of Fox Brothers. Thanks for the review. Brisket is definately the way to go. The best pork bbq is at Sam's BBQ1 on Lower Roswell in Marietta. In my opinion.

I loved the food at Fox Bras. Pig n Chick has great pulled work too. There is one on Roswell Rd and one on Peachtree Industrial just inside the perimeter

I had a so/so experience with Fox Brothers this past weekend. Got the triple plate, so I could try their brisket/ribs/pork.

Brisket had some flavor, but was extremely dry.

Ribs were good, but Garden Produce in Stone Mountain blows them away.

Port tasted like it was baked. No flavor whatsover. I was really wanting good pork, but it has motivated me to go back to just doing my own.

A lot of people have told me Fox Brothers was great, but it wasn't that impressive for me. Maybe it was on off night for them, but wow was the place packed.

My last trip to Fox Bros. was very disappointing. I have tried Community BBQ in Decatur twice in the last week and it is INCREDIBLE. The best brisket I have ever had(besides the ones that come off my WSM). Pulled pork is great and sausage is out of the world. Anyone in Atlanta, do yourself a favor and check this place out.

My uncle has been telling me I have to check out Community Q. Seeing as I live in Decatur, I am ashamed I have not made it there. I believe they are vendor/sponsor for this weekends Atlanta BBQ Festival, if I don't make it there then, I will definitely check them out in Decatur.

Jacks Old South in Braselton is very good. They are the first franchise owners of Myron Mixon's business in Unadilla.

I was hoping Jacks would be good. A drive to Braselton wouldn't be too bad. I remember seeing a few pictures, the place looked a little small ?

It is a little small and I was there for a late lunch so seating wasn't a problem. I live 1 exit south of there so its easy for me to check it out various times.

My wife and I tried Jacks Old South in Braselton. I got the ribs, she got the pulled pork. Ribs were hard and dry like maybe been in a warmer for a really long time. Pulled pork was dry and bland not much flavor at all. Our visit was on a Friday night in late summer,the place was nearly empty, maybe we just hit on an off day. After watching Myron on BBQ Pitmasters I was expecting much more, but then again Myron is not the one doing the cooking here, they are just using his name. I'll have to try them again sometime.

New BBQ place opening up in Decatur, Burnt Fork BBQ on Church Street at Commerce. I will add it to the list of places in Decatur to try, which keeps getting longer since I never go to any of them.

if you like pulled pork, old clintons is the best NC bbq in GA.

I know the acronyms are a bit heavy.

I have grown up in GA and this is the best example of pulled pork with heavy vinegar bbq sauce. I know they have places in Milledgeville GA and Old Clinton outside of Gray GA.

Thompson Brothers in Smyrna has the best pork sandwich I've had, ever. Lots of smoke, fine chop that has the perfect mix of meat, bark, and fat. The place looks like a dive but give it a try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
My family has a place on Sinclair, I will get by the milledgeville place this summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we have a place on Sinclair as well. Yeah, definitely givem a try

Been back to Jack's Old South 4 different time's since my first post and the experience was quite different, have had the pulled pork sandwich twice and twice had the brisket sandwich, all 4 times at lunch, brisket is just on Thursdays. All 4 times the sandwiches were piled high and realy good. Jacks is now my goto place for eatout Q. All 4 times I went back they were sold out of ribs.

Benny

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BMantlow:
My wife and I tried Jacks Old South in Braselton. I got the ribs, she got the pulled pork. Ribs were hard and dry like maybe been in a warmer for a really long time. Pulled pork was dry and bland not much flavor at all. Our visit was on a Friday night in late summer,the place was nearly empty, maybe we just hit on an off day. After watching Myron on BBQ Pitmasters I was expecting much more, but then again Myron is not the one doing the cooking here, they are just using his name. I'll have to try them again sometime. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am a fan of the fox bros, I have been several times and like it. The only sub par experience I have had us with the chopped brisket sandwich- it was incredibly dry. They have now switched the chopped beef to shoulder clod, so maybe that fixes the problem. If you get ribs try to go on a day they are doing spares. I also like their sister restaurant Big Tex Decatur that does comfort food and only does smoked wings. Those wings are the best I have ever had- get them sauce on the side though so that they don't get soggy.

Back