Mice took residence in my Q this winter

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Went to break out the Q today as it was nice out and used the 22 1/2 charcoal for all our Grilling this winter and found that while I was away it had been occupied by many mice!!

i know that by what they left behind ...yes gross so I took the grate inside and as much as I hate to use water with a cast iron grate I had to as it was really gross!! scrubbed it down really good...three times and now going to run it through the dishwasher tonight.

I washed out the bottom of the bowl of the Q with soap and water to remove any "remnants" of the mice and will probably do that again tommorow. Its warm enough (at least during the days this week) that I could concievably hook up a hose and blast it one more time and scrub it down again.

Have any of you had this proble and how have you dealt with it?

I cleaned it really well last fall before putting it away but I can see why they would be attracted to this in the garage during winter.

thanks

I have a sonic mouse deterent in the garage but didnt put it in until after the traps caught a couple earlier in the winter. I even made teh wife get rid of the birdfood because I thought that was what was attracting them. Maybe I have to keep the Q in the back behind the garage to eliminate the source of the attraction.

I just hate having to put that grate in the dishwasher but even after cleaning twice it needed it.

A few years ago, squirrels or mice got into my old GOSM gas smoker, chewed up the foil in the water pan and gnawed on the propane hose. We moved the bird feeders away from the house, a neighbor uses Havahart traps and "relocates the squirrels" and I haven't had a problem since.

Back