Getting the most out of your gas grill

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Jamie, thanks for your response to my “Chunks vs. Chips question.

I have one other question. Where we live we are surrounded by dry grasslands and forest. In the summer months we have fire restrictions because of high winds that won’t allow the use of charcoal (That’s one of the reasons for eight Weber’s) so we use our three gassers.

Now I know the feelings of Charcoal vs. Gas run high here on the forum, but when you don’t want a $500 fine, gas it is.

Any suggestions on how to get the maximum grilling flavors using a gas grill.

I hear you, Rich. Stay safe and stay solvent. So one reason charcoal is so popular (and fervently defended) is the smokiness -- the fragrant aromas of wood. If I want them in my gas grill, I just use a smoker box. The high-end grills have them built into the burner system. With other grills you can set a portable box on top of the Flavorizer bars or on top of the grate. It's no surprise that the chips start smoking sooner if the box is closer to the flames, but I like box on the grate because there I can add more chips as needed. Try to add more chips before all the old ones burn out completely. That way you can keep the smoke streaming out of them continuously. Grill on, my friend!

Jamie

Back