Sous-B-Q

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Welcome back Jamie,

Sous Vide is all the rage now. A few of us combine BBQ and Sous Vide. Have you tried it and if so what has been your experience? Do you smoke first or soak then smoke? What critters and cuts work best in your experience?

Thanks again for the visit.

Dwain, I have not played with the sous vide technique yet. I hear it works well for the nailing whatever doneness you like. If I was the chef of a restaurant, I'd probably use to precook some items that I could finish quickly on the grill. I'd use it especially for lean items that might lose precious juices otherwise. Pork chops and game meats come to mind, but I just haven't pulled the trigger to buy the whole apparatus. Occasionally I use the reverse-sear technique, which is kinda similar... in the sense that you start by cooking the item very slowly and then they sear it like you mean it at the end. It yields a nice, tender steak, but when I have a 1-inch strip steak like you find in most markets, the old-school method works as well as anything. I've got a recipe in Weber's Greatest Hits for New York Strip Steaks with Basil-Arugula Pesto that never fails to satisfy. Thanks for writing. I'l get around to the sous vide thing eventually.

Thanks for the info Jamie. I downloaded the trial pdf Chris and i'm planning to try those recipes soon. I've said it before on this site: i've never had a bad recipe from Jamie.

Back