Coal shovel?

Mike (Mad Mike)

So I am looking for a simple tool to shovel hot coals into/out of the WSM so I figured I would get a cheap fireplace shovel like this but when I tried to use it the thing burst into flames with acrid smoke. Apparently these things are painted. What's the point? Why not just make them plastic then? Anyhow, does anyone know of a fireplace shovel or something similar that's actually designed to handle hot coals? I thought about something like this but it looks like not much of a sidewall on it so it wouldn't be able to scoop much. Any ideas? Thanks.

Why do you need to shovel in lit coals to the WSM
icon_confused.gif

sometimes I'll grill something in my kettle then instead of wasting the coals I'll put 'em in the smoker if I'm doing a cook. Or even better, I'll have dessert ready to go in a dutch oven and I'll use the hot coals from the WSM after I pull off the meat and shovel them around and on top of the dutch oven. Mmmm...cobbler.

The grain scoop looks like a good idea, although I'm not sure if I have to be careful of using galvanized.

Mike, I shovel coals all the time. My wife bought me a shovel, poker and broom from Wally world or Target for like 2 bucks a piece. Never had an issue with heat, I also use the shovel as my fireplace poker.

The actual poker is my grate lifter
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
Just burn the paint off of your shovel and you should be good to go after that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that's what I would do. Just stay away from the fumes, especially if it was made in China.

Tim

Back