Ground Beef/Lamb and Pistachio Kebabs

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
We were recently in Boston visiting relatives. One of the days we bought a picnic lunch and brought it to a park. The lunch came from Sofra Bakery which is described as a middle eastern bakery. My wife an I were particularly impressed by their selection of mezze, which could be bought in a 5 pack of different dips with flat bread. It turns out that our hosts owned this cookbook which was written by the chef/owner and it contained several of the mezze we enjoyed. We copied a few of the recipes and made them tonight.

here's our assortment of mezze
IMG_3983.JPG

back row, left to right: smokey eggplant with pine nuts, turkish cacik, beet tzatziki
front: whipped feta and red pepper, roasted garlic hummus

The beet tzatziki was great when we first had it and it was just as good when we made it, its such a cool dish.

we hadn't tried the kebabs before, but the recipe was one that stood out when paging through the book.

ground beef and lamb, with: mint, oregano, cumin, aleppo, red pepper and pistachios.
IMG_3986.JPG

My mother-in-law prepared a pita style bread, that she's famous for, that was great to drop the kebab into and scoop up the dips.

Gee Whiz that looks fantastic.

I got to say J that you take some great photos of some great plated food
icon_wink.gif

I got to say J that you take some great photos of some great plated food Wink

thanks.

tripod
natural light (no flash!)
low angle

I have an ultrapod which holds my little point-and-shoot and sits nicely on the table. If I need it up a bit, it has a handy velcro strap. The first shot of the bowls, its strapped to my beer bottle
icon_biggrin.gif

The tripod lets you turn off the flash and set a timer so you can get crisp shots in ambient light. Were just getting the sun to hang around until dinner so you may notice the second shot has a blue light to it from the evening light. I thought it looked cool.

We were recently in Boston visiting relatives. One of the days we bought a picnic lunch and brought it to a park. The lunch came from Sofra Bakery which is described as a middle eastern bakery. My wife an I were particularly impressed by their selection of mezze, which could be bought in a 5 pack of different dips with flat bread. It turns out that our hosts owned this cookbook which was written by the chef/owner and it contained several of the mezze we enjoyed. We copied a few of the recipes and made them tonight.

here's our assortment of mezze
IMG_3983.JPG

back row, left to right: smokey eggplant with pine nuts, turkish cacik, beet tzatziki
front: whipped feta and red pepper, roasted garlic hummus

The beet tzatziki was great when we first had it and it was just as good when we made it, its such a cool dish.

we hadn't tried the kebabs before, but the recipe was one that stood out when paging through the book.

ground beef and lamb, with: mint, oregano, cumin, aleppo, red pepper and pistachios.
IMG_3986.JPG

My mother-in-law prepared a pita style bread, that she's famous for, that was great to drop the kebab into and scoop up the dips.

That food looks mouth watering, and thanks for the photo info.

Now how do you in make the Sofra Bakery, Mezza, and This cookbook as click on links in this thread?

Thanks for any help.

J,

That looks awesome! Can you post the recipe amounts for the kebabs and dips? I would love to try them.

Regards,

John

J;
It is obvious from reading this post that we (the forum) is blessed with some FINE cooks.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

JeffG, to make the links:

Copy the web address for what you want to link to.

Highlight the word(s) in your post that you want to become a hyperlink to that web address.

Click on the "globe with a bicycle chain link" icon at the top of the reply window you are typing in. If you hold your cursor over it, it will pop up the word "link." Click it.

Paste the web address into the URL box that pops up, and click ok.

That should do it.

We love Mediterranean food. Two favorites are meat-stuffed grape leaves and kibbe. I've also made falafel at home a few times. I'd make them more, but they all require a good bit of time and work.

Thanks for sharing some great looking dishes.

Back