Don't know what I am doing wrong!

William Merritt

Starting smoking on my old Brinkmann several months ago, everything turned out good. Bought my first WSM and I have to admit it took several cooks to learn how to control temp, but I got it down. My problem is in the last several cooks I am not getting a smoke ring on my ribs, brisket, or pork butt, even though they all tasted great. I use the Minion method, placing several wood chunks in the unused charcoal. After placing hot coals on I put 3 or 4 chunks about the size of my fist, then the meat. Not enough wood? Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

The amount of wood seems fine. How long are you leaving the meat in the smoke. What temp are you cooking at. Is the meat going on cold (this will give you a better smoke because smoke ring formation does stop once you hit a certain temp).

What troubles are you having control temps. Remember playing with the vents causes havoc and it takes about 20 minutes for vent adjustments to really show......

Clark

I am cooking at 225, ribs are on for about 3.5 hrs, brisket and butt , 8 hrs+. I keep the smoke going for at least 2 hrs, briskets and butts about 3 hrs. The meats comes out of refrigerator, gets rub, once fire is ready, on the pit. The trouble controlling temp at first was it was temp would start to go away after a hour or so, I figured out, not enough fuel. Then I started having the problem of being too hot, I figured out start with 3/4 stack of lit coals, now I got it down. Controlling temp is no problem.

This is a stupid quesion but why not.....Are you making sure the wood is on lit coals when it goes on? I'm just thinking maybe it isn't lighting until you are foiling? You should definately have some sort of smoke ring if you are putting on the meat cold and leaving it with constant smoke for three hours, especially the ribs!

Clark

I learned a long time ago, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
icon_smile.gif
Yes, the chunks are placed on top of the lit coals, I do notice later that they are not burned up all the way, have to poke them around, at times.

I'd definitely put them back in the fridge after applying rub. Heck, even throw 'em back in the freezer for a little bit. I cook all my large pieces of meat frozen. Always has a great smoke ring.

Yeah, put them in cold.

Also, is your wood old?

Are you putting anything on the meat before applying the rub?

Thanks, I will try that next time, rub it then back in the fridge for a while. The wood should not be old, just bought it at Academy. Yes, I have been trying different things before the rub, like mustard then rub, worcestershire then rub.

The good news is that it is not the pink ring that gives it the smoke flavor. The pink ring is just a chemical reaction. You could get the same think putting meat tenderizer on the meat.

I appreciate all the feedback, it is just a little disheartening that I could get a nice smoke ring on everything I smoked on my transformed Brinkmann grill into a smoker, but not my WSM.

I've been smoking on a WSM for many years. I have never not gotten a ring. It's either a wood issue, meat temp, or prep, or a combination. The cooker is immaterial.

Before you put on your meat (colder the better)...the protein starts setting at 120 degrees and is finished at 140 degrees this is the peak temp that you can create a smokering.

Make sure your pieces of wood are combusting before you add your meat. Add wood, and wait 10 or so minutes. You should see and smell the wood burning.

Good luck!

Back