California > San Diego: Phil's BBQ

Tim L.

TVWBB Pro
http://www.philsbbq.net/

Just wondering what people think who have been to this place. I haven't been there since they moved from their original location in Mission Hills. Now they have this huge restaurant down on Sports Arena and the line is always wrapped around the building. When I did go there I got the pulled pork sandwiches and wasn't that impressed. But that was 4 years ago. But then again, 4 years ago I hadn't had as much 'que as I've had now. Hmmm...makes me wonder.

Anyhow, I'm going tomorrow and getting the full rack of babybacks (12 or so pieces they say) so I'll give a report.

Thanks!

Well, not very impressed at all. The facility itself is very nice, a very comfortable setting. So good for a family outing. But I was there for the 'que, not the atmosphere.

Got a full slab of baby backs. I'm pretty new to rib-eating (yeah, late starter), so no "expert", but here's what I didn't like:

-WAY way way too much sauce. They were completely drenched in sauce. IMO, sauce should compliment the meat, not dominate it.

-Didn't like the sauce, which of course made it even worse that they drenched the ribs with it. Too tangy, and had the consistency of sweet & sour sauce. Not a fan at all.

-Even without the sauce, the ribs themselves weren't that great.

I give it 2.5 pig ears out of 5.

...still waiting for good bbq in San Diego. Guess I'll just have to make it!

Their new location is close to where I work and have eaten their BBQ quite a few times and I am not impressed at all with their food. What is impressive is the amount of people that go to that place. Either I'm missing something or people in San Diego don't know what good barbecued meat is suppose to taste like.

Not that I needed another to validate my opinion, but...

THANK YOU!!!!

Yall would not believe the line around this place. It's out of control! I'll admit part of me wants to go there just b/c of the idea "well, if the lines that long, it must be good!!"

It has a cool roadhouse type vibe, but I just really didn't like the food at all. Way too much sauce and it wasn't even sauce I liked!

Anyway, I'll stick with Abby's on Claremont Mesa. Not fabulous, but she's super friendly and always throws in a free drink and cornbread for me.

PS- Phil's doesn't sell cornbread!!! What a shame

i know very old post but i wasnt that impressed either...i moved from PB in May.. but i sure want a piece of his profits..lol

I have been there a few times.
It doesn't get any close to any BBQ you can get in TX, but it's one of the best (if not the best) in san diego.

OTG 22.5, Spirit e-310, soon to be added: performer

Steve,
We've been to Brazen a few times and we really like it. Great food, amazing service. Employees go out of their way to help you. Quality of the food is beyond what you typically get at a BBQ place. Place has indoor and outdoor seating with a nice bar. Being that they are in Hillcrest, parking can be a little tough. The Brazen folks really merged their competition skills into this restaurant. Our favorite in SD.

Ill try the Brazen. Website looks good, but a lot of that 'cutesie' California cuisine wanders from the basics and misses the boat. (Like Bluefin Fusion)
Phils is the worst mass produced catered slop I've had.
Fat Ivors Ribs up in Valley Center is excellent, as is Lightning Jacks BBQ at the Clairemont Square and Texan BBQ on Miramar Road. There is also an excellent old school BBQ down in National City, name eludes me.

Best BBQ 'ahem' is done in my backyard. J/K (just sayin').

The whole point of this BBQ restaurant forum is to build a directory of restaurant recommendations. If you like Brazen or Coops, you can certainly mention that here, but it would be great if you'd start a new entry for them in the directory, too--that way, you'll be helping others find your favorite BBQ joints!

Thanks!
Chris

Well since Phils does not have a smoker in their resturaunt....I enjoy their broham and onion rings a lot and will never say no to them:cool:
They also have a new shop in Santee.

Phil's bakes the meat then grills on the sauce
Going to be hard to get deep wood smoke flavor that way ;0)
I was in the San Marcos store while the a chargers were on TV
Great place to watch a game

I've eaten at Phil's BBQ and I don't think they are that great. Famous Dave's is much better.

But if you are near La Mesa, try West Coast BBQ along Lake Murray Blvd.

Then there's the bar in North Park called Gillys. Every Tuesday, 6:30 to 9:00 Samurai Steve grills the best steak.

Im posting from my phone so you'll have to google these places.

I will submit it as a new entry this evening.

Ive eaten at Phils multiple times.
Phils BBQ was always the spot to go to for BBQ gatherings. When i was younger it was definitely good bbq, especially the broham.

Fortunately I traveled to Dallas and visited the Pecan Lodge.
It is a night and day difference and ever since then after returning to Phils, i just cant.
I cant do it, the sauce is overpowering and too much, the ribs and broham have no smoke flavor and the broham is sometimes super dry.
I guess that what got me into smoking haha.

Back