What is Mild Steel and is it any good?

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
I have been looking at These guys and thinking of replacing some of my grates. What is Mild Steel and is it any good? What is your opinon of these grates?

Hey Steve, I think you'll be happy with these grates...
mild steel is what the major of things are made of these days IF not made from stainless steel.
Mild steel WILL rust, but using it in this application, you tend to "season" the steel with every use as you would cast iron. If rust appears, simply wire-brush or sand it away and re-season the steel.

Personally, I'm not a fan of thicker, more massive grates. I don't care for CI grates either. I am not looking for the grate to retain lots of heat when I grill, nor do I care for the larger, wider grill marks of CI grates. (I like grill marks but think too much emphasis is placed on them, by and large.)

I replaced my grates with S/S grates because of the rust factor.

My two cents.

anybody else look at the "smoke in da eye" grate and think that the big hole in the middle would be perfect for losing food into?

I got a CI grate for my 26.75 from these guys and I love it. Kevin knows more about cooking than I can ever hope to know, but dang it, I like those grill marks!

Back