5th Smoke, Temp Control Issue

Tim W

TVWBB Member
Have kind of the same issue as Nate C, but didn't want to thread-jack..

I've done 4 smokes on my WSM. 3 chicken, 1 pork ribs. The first smoke was with water; after reading these forums a bit, I used a 13'' clay saucer wrapped in foil for the last 3 cooks. No issues, although my ribs didn't come out exactly the way I'd like. For the ribs, I just refilled the smoker about the 2 hour mark.

I recently did pork ribs again yesterday. I used the minion method for the first time; I filled the chamber about half way with unlit regular Kingsford Charcoal and poured about half a Weber chimney of lit charcoals on top. Buried two chunks of apple wood, also. Got the temps up to 260, closed 2 bottom vents and kept one about 1/4 open. Temp stabilized at 250 for 3 hours. During the 3 hours, I rotated the ribs once and sprayed a vinegar-based wash a few times. Opened the door to check the charcoal once.

About the 3 hour 15 minute mark, the temps started rising, all the way to 315. I closed the bottom vent, no change. I closed the top vent 1/2 way, no change. So my first thought was a leak somewhere. All the sections seemed to have a decent seal. Checked the door, nothing out of the ordinary. I opened the door to see where the charcoal level was at, still had quite a few charcoal left but but all were burning red.

I ended up pulling the ribs early and tossed them into the oven. I closed all the vents, the temps still stayed at 300+ for a good 20-30 mins. before finally cooling down and dying out.

So, looking back at it, I'm still wondering if that door was the source of the leak; I don't believe it was the lid, although its still a possibility. After 3 hours of perfect constant temps, I'm not sure what happened after. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm hesitant to reply because I'm by no means as qualified as some on here to answer. That being said, my guess would be the rotating, spraying a few times and opening the door to check the charcoal. In 3 hours you had the cooker open at least 4 times. Each time you let in air and I would think that could throw off the thermal dynamics of the WSM. Of course I could be full of it
icon_eek.gif

Not sure, but I would say when you had the lid off and then the fuel door your fire got enough air to get hot, especially with the no water method and 70 deg. The minion method probably got bypassed when this happend by all the fuel being ignited instead of slowly burning.

I have also found poor results on mine by just leaving 1 bottom vent open with the others closed because it seems to draft harder through 1 than 3 that are slightly open.

Just my thoughts,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
I'm hesitant to reply because I'm by no means as qualified as some on here to answer. That being said, my guess would be the rotating, spraying a few times and opening the door to check the charcoal. In 3 hours you had the cooker open at least 4 times. Each time you let in air and I would think that could throw off the thermal dynamics of the WSM. Of course I could be full of it
icon_eek.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm hoping that is the case. I believe in those 3 hours, I had the lid opened twice. Once at the 2 hour mark to rotate ribs, and spray wash. Once at the 2.5 hour mark to add chicken, and spray wash. Also at the 2.5 hour mark, I checked the fuel door.

In my last rib cook, I basically did the same things, but didn't have the temp rise at all.

Thanks for the input everyone.

In my last rib cook, I basically did the same things, but didn't have the temp rise at all.

Odd huh,

Sometimes I've had different batches of fuel that just are off, some high some low.

Always wondered how much your low humidity affects the cook vs. the humid southeast, I know that isn't the issue here.

Just curious

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim W:
Once at the 2.5 hour mark to add chicken, and spray wash. Also at the 2.5 hour mark, I checked the fuel door. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How long did it take to add the chicken?...could have been long enough to get things going a little out of control and the cooker didn't show it for a 1/2 hour or so...right at the 3 hr mark where you started to have issues.

Here is my 2 pennies.

I would start with a full load of unlit charcoal and add 15 to 20 lit coals.

When you open/take off the lid do it quick, as in spray/turn.
Opening the door will add O2 to the fire and the temps will rise.

Also I would shut down the vents at around 200*-215* instead of 260*, its hard to control once they go past your target temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim W:
Once at the 2.5 hour mark to add chicken, and spray wash. Also at the 2.5 hour mark, I checked the fuel door. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How long did it take to add the chicken?...could have been long enough to get things going a little out of control and the cooker didn't show it for a 1/2 hour or so...right at the 3 hr mark where you started to have issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe half a minute tops. I had an extra pair of hands helping me.

Even if that was the cause of the raised temps, would it take more than 30 mins for the temps to drop even if with all the vents closed? I would have thought temps would have fallen a bit.

I didn't explain in the original post, but after I closed all the vents, I pretty much walked away and tended to the ribs inside. About 20 or 30 mins later, I went to check the temps, and they were still around 300. I never went back to check after that cause I was serving dinner so I'm not really sure at what time the temps started to drop.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_B:
Here is my 2 pennies.

I would start with a full load of unlit charcoal and add 15 to 20 lit coals.

When you open/take off the lid do it quick, as in spray/turn.
Opening the door will add O2 to the fire and the temps will rise.

Also I would shut down the vents at around 200*-215* instead of 260*, its hard to control once they go past your target temp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff-- What would the benefit be of using a full load of charcoal? The amount of charcoal I used seemed more than enough for the ribs (if they kept the right temp)

This what I do, I guest it doesn't make it right it is what I do. And I know I'm good on fuel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Checked the door, nothing out of the ordinary. I opened the door to see where the charcoal level was at, still had quite a few charcoal left </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also no need to remove the door
icon_wink.gif

I'm w/Jeff. In my opinion you're starting with way too little unlit and way too much lit for a dry smoke. I use the clay saucer also and start my MM cooks with about 10 lit and start to shutdown my vents around 200, see where she's going to settle in and make adjustments from there.

Another tip, when I would bother spritzing and basting (I no longer bother doing this) I would close my bottom vents while I had the lid off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I'm w/Jeff. In my opinion you're starting with way too little unlit and way too much lit for a dry smoke. I use the clay saucer also and start my MM cooks with about 10 lit and start to shutdown my vents around 200, see where she's going to settle in and make adjustments from there.

Another tip, when I would bother spritzing and basting (I no longer bother doing this) I would close my bottom vents while I had the lid off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip Larry. I was attempting to follow the directions from the TVWB's instructions. I think they said to start with 20-40 lit. I'll try starting with less lit next time.

Which is correct, if you're using water in the pan as the directions on the site were written for. Going dry is a whole different ballgame.

Back