Thermometers: "Leave-ins" v Hand-Held Probes

Tim L.

TVWBB Pro
I'm very much new to all of this and have a question related to measuring meat (not cooker) temperature. I looked through this section of the forum and, while I found many threads on thermometers, didn't find one comparing hand-held probes (thermapen, etc) to those ones you leave inserted into the meat with a wire running out and displaying the temp on a small unit (name for these?).

Do most people use one or the other? Have both? One disadvantage I could see with the thermapen (or other hand-held device) is that to use it you have to open the lid, thus letting heat escape. The other option seems nice in that you can set an alarm, not open the lid, etc, but the probes seem larger.

Thanks!

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum!
Many have both, <span class="ev_code_GREEN">Thermapen</span> and a probe type like this one.
I use the <span class="ev_code_GREEN">Thermapen</span> mostly while I grill and the probe for long cooks; butts, briskets i.e..
Both these types happen to be manufactured by ThermoWorks.
oh, and Tim,... there is NO disadvantage using any <span class="ev_code_GREEN">Thermapen</span>.
As long as it is a green <span class="ev_code_GREEN">Thermapen</span>.
icon_biggrin.gif

I hope I helped you out a little.

Very much so, thanks Jim!

What you say makes sense. Use the thermapen for grilling, and use the monitor for smoking (or something like that). Makes sense since you wouldn't want to open the lid repeatedly but the monitor allows you to keep a constant eye on temp.

I'd love that thermapen (greens my color so that'd be for me)...just don't have the $$$ right now.

Thanks!

a wired probe therm is merely a guide for when to foil or start checking for doneness. You're not looking for incredible accuracy, or speed. I use the thermoworks thermometer or the maverick for constant monitoring.

The thermapen (or I use the MTC) are thermocouple units which are faster and more accurate and consequently more expensive. I'll use them for grilling.

Jim,

Thanks for posting the link - I have the "Williams-Sonoma" Labeled version of that exact same probe theromometer. A few weeks ago, I managed to fry the cable for the probe - now I know where to get a replacement probe for 8 bucks!

Too bad thermoworks does not make a wireless remote unit.

no sweat.
you know, i really like the thermoworks and when i break it (and i probably will cuz i use it so much), i'll replace it with the same.
i use the timer part of it during grilling ALOT...

The thermapen also lets you check a couple of different points quickly. If you're not 100% sure your probe is in the best place it's great to be able to double check that fast.

Back