How do you check your meat temperature?

S Daigle

Hi, I'm a pround new owner of a wsm and have had a couple successfull smokes.

I tried to do a beer can chicken today but took it off the smoker too soon. The temps stayed at 275-300 for 2.5hours. When I inserted my thermometer the temperature would increase as I would go deeper in the chicken and would range from 150-180.

So my question is: How far do you insert the thermometer for checking heat?

You pretty much have to shoot for the middle of what ever you're trying to measure. Middle of the breast is easier to hit than the middle of the thigh. If you can read the temp in a range as you move through the chicken, you must have a good thermometer (thermapen?). With the temps you read (150-180), I'd say that's done unless the 150 was near the bone. If that were the case, I'd probably leave it on a little longer.

Maybe I just like my chicken overcooked.
icon_wink.gif

My thermometer is a cheapo I found at Canadian Tire but I might invest in a thermapen(just googled it).

One more question, Can I just leave the thermometer stuck in the meat while it cooks?

Sounds like you need to go get a Maverick ET-7.
I use one so that I rarely have to open the lid.
I leave one probe stuck in whatever I'm cooking and the other to get grate level temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When I inserted my thermometer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What type of therm are you using - thermocouple, thermistor or bimetal (i.e., a tip-sensitive digital of one type or the other or an analog)?

I use a probe thermometer similar to this one. Stick the probe in the piece of meat that will be done last (usually the thickest part). I run the cable under the lid and put the base on a nearby table. Now I don't need to peak under the lid until the meat is done.

http://www.amazon.com/Polder-6...ometer/dp/B000G2SU5Y

Note that I don't have this specific model. There are a lot of thermometers of this same style, I just picked the first one on amazon. I can't find the model I have on amazon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Daigle:
Maybe I just like my chicken overcooked.
icon_wink.gif

My thermometer is a cheapo I found at Canadian Tire but I might invest in a thermapen(just googled it).

One more question, Can I just leave the thermometer stuck in the meat while it cooks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No, not if it is a typical thermistor or thermocouple. However, if it is remote, i.e., the probe is wired to a display, the display stays outside the cooker, you can. Maverick, Polder, Nu-temp make therms like this.

Avoid bimetal therms. They display an average temp of the first 2 to 2.5 inches of the probe, easily leading to over- or under-cooking, and lousy for determining safe finish temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When I inserted my thermometer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What type of therm are you using - thermocouple, thermistor or bimetal (i.e., a tip-sensitive digital of one type or the other or an analog)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didnt even know there was so much different kinds!
icon_biggrin.gif

It seems I am using a bimetal thermometer which isn't the best thing. The unit Craig A posted seems to have better reviews and is cheaper than the Maverick ET-7. Although the ET-7 has dual probes.

Any other suggestions for a not too expensive digital probe thermometer?

I use a Taylor Backyard Warrior I got a Lowes for < $20. Timer, single probe thermometer, and vaious meat setting (customizable).

Measures 210-211 in boiling water. Good enough for me.

A thermapen is very reliable. Even if you cook with a thermometer inserted, a quick check with the thermapen will give you a little more peace of mind. Always hate to serve guests or family undercooked meat, especially fowl. Bob B

Back