My "new" Red performer CL Score

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it does, it had ashes in there, I emptied it out and set it aside. The only things I need are a new replacement thermometer, and an igniter. I wiped more down it is just real dusty, but...hardly has any wear on it. I am going to spend time on it this weekend and get every speck of dust off. It will clean up real nice. I will post pics of the finished cleanup.

Fantastic! I got one like this last fall but mine did not have the gas assist. I had a great time "restoring" it. Yours looks to be in even better shape than mine and I thought I got a good deal at $50!

Pat

Hey Pat, yeah I seen your posts about the cleanup of yours, I actually did a little research on the project. Looking forward to this weekend for drinking beer, cleaning up the performer and grilling some burgers
icon_smile.gif
I will post some pics of the finale

I'll drink beer with you and wait for the pictures! Sounds like we've both got good plans for the weekend!

You're in great shape in that you have the ash catcher and ash catcher ring. Those were the hold ups on my project and I had to modify the leg "stubs" on the bottom of the kettle to accept the tabs on the ash catcher ring, but it all was fun and thankfully within the scope of my rather limited skills!

Can't wait for the pictures (or the beer!).

Pat

Pat

craigslist in tulsa hardly ever has weber stuff. the closest performer i found was 5 hrs one way to the dallas area.i got a 26 on order but i still lust after a performer. thats an itch i'll have to scratch sometime

Originally posted by Tim C:
craigslist in tulsa hardly ever has weber stuff. the closest one i performer i found was 5 hrs one way to the dallas area.i got a 26 on order but i still lust after a performer. thats an itch i'll have to scratch sometime

Yeah, I dont see much of the performers on CL but have seen several kettles, usually just black OTS. I just happened to check CL one afternoon, and the guy has just posted that morning. I wrote him and said Id buy it. Just happened to get lucky. Usually im the guy saying "congrats...great find"

So that's how the old style ash catcher ring connects to the Performer! I'm glad I saw that pic. Mine is the old style but Weber didn't have those, so I had to do a mod to use the new style ash catcher ring. Really nice job and a great grill!

Pat

So that's how the old style ash catcher ring connects to the Performer

And now you can see why they frequently need to be replaced: The ash falls on them and they rust away.

I recommend that you coat it with high temp grill paint while you have it apart, in order to protect that bar from future rust.

The ash catcher ring support bar is produced only occasionally, so if you need one have your name put on the list. When produced and available, they will send you one.

Haven't seen it myself, but others have said the red ones change color from the heat while cooking - something cool to watch for...

Congratulations on the SS Performer. Everyone should have one (or 2 or 3!)

My Collection Click on image to view large, and you can see I had to get one of the bars for my '99. I coated it twice with grill paint.

Originally posted by doug ep:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So that's how the old style ash catcher ring connects to the Performer

And now you can see why they frequently need to be replaced: The ash falls on them and they rust away.

I recommend that you coat it with high temp grill paint while you have it apart, in order to protect that bar from future rust.

The ash catcher ring support bar is produced only occasionally, so if you need one have your name put on the list. When produced and available, they will send you one.

Haven't seen it myself, but others have said the red ones change color from the heat while cooking - something cool to watch for...

Congratulations on the SS Performer. Everyone should have one (or 2 or 3!)

My Collection Click on image to view large, and you can see I had to get one of the bars for my '99. I coated it twice with grill paint. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Doug nice collection. You know I thought about some hight temp paint(after the fact)...but I did not. I did spray WD40 and cleaned it up. Still plenty Rigid. But..I think I will order one and be put on the list. Have you had any problem filling these old tanks or did you have to get an OPV valve? I think I know of a local place that will fill it up.

WD 40 won't last long, and I wouldn't want the heat to evaporate the fumes into the food. Even if already a little surface rust, it really needs to be permanently coated with something.

You haven't yet stated what year your P is, use the code on the vent and check here.

The handle on top of the tank is the first tipoff to the OPV issue: if basically a 3 sided handle, it is OPV, and the tank is good to the cert/recert date stamped into the tank handle. If a 10 or 12 pointed handle (old style), it is probably not an OPV tank - that's the quick visual check a refiller looks for. Although it may be an OPV tank if there is a tag wired to it which states it is an OPV tank. A buddy of mine bought a '97 P, refiller wouldn't fill tank due to 10-12 point handle=non-OPV, until after about 10 minutes of discussion we finally realized the tag stated it was an OPV tank, then he happily filled it. So apparently there was a changover period to watch for...

If an old non-OPV tank, an OPV valve can be installed (don't know how much) by a propane technician, and the tank recertified for more years of service. Or, you can order one from Weber ($50-60). Or, others have gotten 5 lb tanks from (I think) Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mtn., Cabela's, etc.

If you go that route, remember to keep old parts, just for posterity...

Thanks for the reply. Looks Like I have an "EE" The guy said he bought it new in 98 or 99..so that adds up. It looks like it is the OPV valve which is cool. The WD40 I scrubbed w/ a wire brush and let the grill burn for 2+ hours so no big deal. I just got off the phone w/ Weber..they are sending me two new support brackets for my ash catcher for FREE. I just placed an order for parts last week, and have ordered b4 so they said dont worry about it..gotta love that.

My red performer indeed changes color to a dark brown when it gets hot. It's pretty neat to watch it turn brown and then back to red as it cools down.

Pat

So, yours is a 6 point handle. I misspoke, it should be OPD, not OPV. IIRC, the tanks are good for 12 years, so as a '99, you should be good for a few more years. I would just keep having it refilled until they tell you they can't refill it anymore, then get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back