Texas > El Paso: State Line BBQ

Tim L.

TVWBB Pro
I saw rave reviews online this past weekend while I was in El Paso (first Texas trip), that coupled with the pictures, made me very anxious to try some State Line 'Que.

In an attempt to ensure I missed no good offering, my friend and I ordered the 5 meat sampler, complete with coleslaw and potato salad. We added some bread (not free) and some sweet tea.

I'm sorry to disappoint, and never mean to be a hater, but, well, not what I was expecting out of Texas (neither was El Paso, but hey, that's a different story).

The baby back meat was just about glued to the bone and the beef rib did nothing for me. What really killed it, I mean ruined it completely for me...was the SAUCE!!! And I mean sauce. And more sauce. It's like they put a whole bottle on my plate. Why make good bbq and then ruin it with all that sauce? (no offence Kansas City'ers). But that's not what I've heard Texas bbq to be. So Tim was sad
icon_frown.gif

That said, the brisket was pretty tasty from what I could tell (hard to avoid the sauce) and I genuinely enjoyed the smoked sausage.

The bread was good, if that counts for anything, and so was the atmosphere.

Anyhow, just like I'm not gonna judge Texas based on El Paso, I won't judge Texas bbq by the State Line.

Bring on Lockhart!!!

The State Line
1222 Sunland Park Dr., El Paso
(915) 581-3371
http://www.countyline.com/index.asp
State Line is a location of The County Line BBQ

State line BBQ in El Paso is horrible. The only thing memorable was the small loaf of bread, and the atmosphere. Can't even remember the meats if that says something. What I do recall is my lady and I deciding not to go back there.

Check out Rudy's gas station BBQ, that's some good meats.

Back