Couple of Newbie Questions on 18" WSM

Matt M.

Hey guys, first off I love these forums and look forward to gleaning much valuable information from all of you experts. I first started browsing this site 3 years ago when I first got my Genesis, and now look forward to your advice with my soon-to-be 18" WSM that should be coming in 2 weeks or so. I don't have it yet, but am just trying to be prepared when it gets here, and I have a couple of questions that I'm still a bit confused on:

1) I see the new model now has a heat shield at the bottom. Does this mean I won't be needing an oil drip pan or paver or anything to set the WSM on my patio or deck, or do you guys still recommend I get one?

2) I have a 2-story house on a full basement, and as a result I have a concrete patio with a wood deck approximately 10" directly above it. Ideally I would like to keep the WSM in the basement and just move it out on the concrete patio for smoke sessions. Will it be safe to run it under the wood deck (will the clearance be enough?), or should I move it upstairs onto the deck itself?

3) I have an ET-7 remote thermometer that I absolutely love and that I use with my Genesis. Is there any way to use this with the WSM straight out of the box, or will I be required to mod it with the probe eyelet that I've seen you guys discuss? Just didn't know if there was any opening whatsoever to run the probe through without the mod (through the door, maybe?).

I know I'll have plenty of questions galore, but I'll go easy on you guys for now. After seeing all of your food pics, I'm hungry already!

#1 - You will still like a drip pan because it will give you something to put your lid on when you take it off. As for the heat shield catching any drips, I can't say because I don't have a new 18".

#2 - I would think that under normal use, the deck above your head will not be a problem. However, there was a post here where the guy lit the charcoal, put the middle section on and did not put the lid on and went in the house to get the meat. Not sure how long it took him to get back to the WSM, but he said that the WSM with no lid acted like a chimney and he had flames shooting out of the WSM. I don't know if that would even affect wood 10 ft. above, but always be careful and have a means of putting out a fire close by. Generally though, I don't think you'll have a problem. I've cooked on a covered porch that has vinyl for the covering and the heat from the wsm didn't even remotely affect it.

#3 - Many people run their thermometer cord under the lid (just set it down lightly) and I've seen a few post of people running the cable through the door. I think either work fine, but I'd vote for under the lid for it's simplicity.

What are you going to cook for your first cook?

Thanks for the info Jerry. I have a 4.5 butt in the freezer that I think I'll break out for my first smoke. Something fairly simple that won't take an overnight session to start off with. Rule of thumb is approximately 2 hours per pound, right?

Hey,Matt. Welcome to the asylum! You're gonna go nuts over the WSM! For cooking butts,go for about 1 1/2 hours per pound as a guide. And remember,it's done when it's done! When a probe goes in like sofy butter ,it's done! Don't rely on temps alone. Enjoy your smoker.

Thanks Phil - I look forward to checking into Q's Anonymous as well!
icon_smile.gif

I have used my WSM under my deck and the only issue is the smoke lingering around. Sort of made the house smell like smoke.

As for the thermometer i'd invest in the Guru Eyelets. I have them and love them. For the time being I would either put it through the top vent or set the lid on it. I would be worried with the heat level if you put it through the door. The stock wires for the probes are sensitive to high seat.

Speaking of that, what is the limit for the stock wires heat-wise? Does anybody know?

And I bought the grommets from Cajun Bandit... they're 3/8" instead of 1/4", and they have plenty of room to get all my wires (3 sensors) through a single hole that way. I did have to drill a new hole to accommodate it, but it's working out great.

Back