How to decrystallize honey

Eric G

TVWBB Fan
First not sure where the appropriate home for this question would be so I took a guess and posted it in here. If it needs to move to a new home Chris by all means go for it.

I bought a large container of honey awhile back from one of the big box stores. Well over the winter I dont do much of sauce and glaze making as I should, it has separated into 2 distinct levels. I was wondering how exactly does one go about getting it back into its regular form? Do I slowly heat the container up in a pan of water? Well just wondering any insight would be appreciated...

I was wondering how exactly does one go about getting it back into its regular form? Do I slowly heat the container up in a pan of water?
Eric, Yes that's the way too do it. You can also reheat crystalized honey in the microwave to get it back in liquid form. Be gentle though. Only heat it hot enough, to melt the crystals. I buy honey in 5 gal pails (60lbs.) and it crystalizes over time, my sourghum also gets crystalized. The sourghum I do in the microwave, small bottles. The honey I do in my 12.5 gal stock pot on the turkey burner, or on the coal stove in the winter. HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Reviving an old topic...Cook's Illustrated magazine suggests placing a honey jar in a saucepan with 1" of water, heating gently until smooth. To prevent recrystallization, stir in 2 teaspoons of light corn syrup for every 1 cup of honey and transfer the mixture to a clean jar.

Back