Weber Q 200 Thermometer in lid?

bryan baker

TVWBB Member
Hi all, Great board!! Thanks to everyone for great tips and recipes!!

I have had my q 200 for about three months now. I use it as my primary grill and love it. I originally bought it as a camping grill but use it all the time at home.

I have read where you can order a new lid and thermometer to make it into a 220. I was wondering if anyone has tried to mount a thermometer in the q200 lid. I can see there is a flat spot molded into the q220 lid specifically for the thermomether but was wanting to save the $60.00 and mount it into my orginal lid. Part of me thinks it will look funny where it's not completely flat but I thought I would ask here first to see if anyone has tried it. Might save some dollars.

Thanks in Advance
Bryan

Bryan
Welcome to the forum. Drop back here often as there are a myriad of tips and hints to be had here.

As for your question. The lid of the Q220 is 1 1/2" (37 mm) higher than the Q220 which gives you the additional headspave when cooking turkeys and the like. I started off with a Q200 over 5 years ago and replaced the lid about 2 years ago to convert it to a 220. I decided that the extra headspace was a bonus. There is no reason that I can see why you can't drill a hole in the lid and fit a thermometer. I didn't go down that path as I thought that it would look out of place and possibly amateurish. I replaced the lid complete and retained the old lid just in case.

Regards

Thanks for the reply. That's what I am afraid of is that it would look amateurish. Guess I will take the plunge and order the lid also.

Tried the recipe for "Roadside Chicken" the other night. Was outstanding. Going to do some more for this weekend.

What's everybody grilling on the Fourth of July? (for those of us in the states
icon_smile.gif
)

Well I have had a little fubar in my grilling. I posted over in the introductions forums at more length of what I did but long story short. I had a q120 instead of a q200. Ordered the griddle roast and rib racks to fit the 200 and discovered my mistake when I tried to use them.
icon_smile.gif

Back