interesting issue

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
so i go out to use my q220 redhead. lookin kinda dusty. i do have the q cover plus it has a blanket covering the cover. so its a bit dusty and as i'm cleaning it i notice black dots. i look closely and there are black dots or smug in the craters of the porcelain. course this stuff does have orange peel. so i try to get rid of it with simple green. some comes off but in the dimples it kinda stays. i have used this grill less than ten times. so where did this black stuff come from? i always wipe down the lid before starting it up. weird for sure and i'm not happy about it. also, is the lid cover really porcelain or is it paint ? when i cleaned part of it it looked kinda dull. also i had mentioned it long ago that i had leaned the lid against some paint and to this day i can't get some of it off. looks like it melted into the lid color. any ideas ?

Sound like a really big problem George. Send it to me and I will spend the next couple years trying to identify the problem. It may take several cooks.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

i have a lighted magnifying glass. i looked and it seems that the black stff, very very small spots, is eating through the red color. i found one spot that it looked like the aluminum came up through the color. i'm so mad i could spit blood. its red so i doubt weber will replace it. weber, i'm not a happy camper.
icon_mad.gif

its red so i doubt weber will replace it. weber,
Can't hurt to Give them a call. WE know they (Weber folks) lurk here, but they won't be proactive with this. Maybe your not the only one having an issue with it. If nothing else you can log your complaint with them, and it beats spitting blood.

Let us know George. I've got the same model you do and haven't noticed anything strange about my lid. It's painted cast aluminium unless I miss my guess. Can you post us a pic? I'd like to see the prolem.

Ring Weber up - it would be great if you could send them some pictures.

Pat

ok, sorry this took a bit. i wanted to make sure i had a issue. so i carefully cleaned a section of the lid with two types of cleaner, one being simple green. scrubbed with a tooth brush, repeat. no change. if you use a very good lighted magnifying glass or a good glass and a flashlight, best done when darkish, i have a very even pattern of black spots that look like they are either eating into the paint or are coming up through the paint. there are also a very good pattern of what looks like raw aluminum coming up through the paint. so now i'm convinced that there is a problem. remember that this grill is covered all the time unless being used. i did not notice this problem when it was new. so calling weber when i can. if they no onger have red lids i will be very upset.

weber has not heard of this. not surprising. they want a pic even though i said its super small and will not show up on a regular pic. i have no access to a micro lens. so i'll take a pic and go from there.

problem seems to be worse. very very very unhappy with weber. far as i'm concerned their product stinks. and no, i didn't cause this.

Thanks for the heads up George... seems red or the Q lid is one to avoid. I am happy with the kettles but can't help but want to try some of the other products...

i wouldn't write of the q cuz of my issue. i'm upset with customer service but i still like the q very much. it will still cook great food regardless.

I have the Q220 with the cream colored lid and I also have found that the paint is easily stained and is hard to clean completly.
When I had my little Q120, I often had to give it a quarterly thorough clean up and I used a high pressure cleaner and some of the paint at the back of the lid flaked off completely exposing the cast aluminium lid.
I think the nature of the material of cast aluminium seems to be very porous as the blackening of inside the lid is near impossible to remove and seems to have impregnated into the metal.
I'm not too peturbed about it but I think that the paint or the ability of the paint to fully adhere to the cast alum leaves a lot to be desired but it could be impossible to have the same paint jobs that are on it's kettles and larger gas units.
Anyway..it's an awesome little grill and I'll put up with it's slight fault but I think that Weber should be aware of it.

Cheers

Davo

Hey George,

I saw your post and it reminded me of my Genesis 3000 red head I restored last year and have posted about in the gas grill section. I noticed when I was working on it that as you had mentioned the paint seemed to have small black spots in it. No matter how hard I scrubbed I couldn't get them out so I came to the conclusion that it must be a result of the previous owner cooking on it without cleaning off the lid of dust first but I'm sure this isn't the case with yours so maybe it's something else. Mine was built in 1998 though so it could be a different situation from you but it sounds like the same result.

Hope you've had some luck by now.

Back