London Broil on the Q320

Ken_K

TVWBB Super Fan
Well I decided to try a 2.7lb top round London Broil on the Q320. I achieved a reverse sear by using the warming rack that came with the grill to hold it off the grate and placed a piece of foil underneath to shield it. I ended up just running the middle burner on low to maintain a temp between 250-275 for about 25 minutes -- which as it turned out was a bit too long -- then I took it off the heat, tented with foil, cranked both burners on high and let it get to 500 degrees. Then I put it on the grate for a sear for about 4 minutes per side.

It came out with a great flavor though it was a bit overdone -- seems I over-estimated the thickness of it. I sliced it very thin and made sandwiches simply adorned with thin sliced white onion and fresh cracked pepper.

Indirect setup:

Holding temp:

Searing:

Sliced and Ready:

Ken -

I am unable to see your pictures since I do not have a account on facebook. However, I am terrible on judging when steaks are done. I now use a thermometer with a probe and a wire. I never overcook my steaks this way.

I so love my Q and have cooked london broil on it a few times.

Thanks Bob, I thought I could get away without a thremo but I will use one the next time. I fixed the pics BTW.

That looks unbelievably delicious if a bit overdone. Thanks for posting the pics, I dont do facebook either. You should leave them up as they illustrate the foil/trivet method perfectly.

Thanks Pinny, I haven't been able to find anything else around here for a trivet, so I thought I'd just use the warming rack that came with the grill. It worked out great, just need to go for less time indirect the next time I do this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken_K:
Thanks Pinny, I haven't been able to find anything else around here for a trivet, so I thought I'd just use the warming rack that came with the grill. It worked out great, just need to go for less time indirect the next time I do this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fantastic effort - love the cross hatch sear marks. Clever way to set up indirect using the warming rack. (We don't have the 320 available here in Oz only the 300). A trivet can be made from a wire rack from an oven, some of the older fridges had wire shelves. A runaway shopping cart has a great wire mesh that can be cut and trimmed to make a trivet. A cake cooling rack can also be used. If you have the Weber grilling tray you can turn it upside down over a doubled over sheet of foil but you need to turn the meat a few times using this.

Regards

Thanks Phil, this grill is so much fun and produces gorgeous grill marks so easily.

I do have the Weber grill pan and I actually did consider flipping it and using it that way, but for some reason -- that I cannot recall now -- I didn't like it for some reason. I think I will take a look at some cake cooling racks. The waring rack worked okay but I think ultimately it's too high off the grate. I will find something, I can't wait to try doing a whole chicken or two on the Q!

ken
Brine with a basic brine for 5 hours first - you wont eat chicken any other way again.

The Q series is an awesome weapon with the 300 being the weapon of mass degustation

Cheers

Back