Varying amounts of charcoal when grilling

Chuck_H

TVWBB Member
I have a question about the amount of charcoal to use when grilling. I'm using a Perfomer and the wife and I either have steaks or Iowa chops at least once a week. I usually just fill a chimney up to the top with blue Kingsford (I have a shed full because of the coupon) and use that amount. My technique is to bank the coals to one side and indirectly cook my chops and steaks before putting them directly over the coals.

Last night I used this technique for steaks and my grill temps on the lid thermometer were between 525-550. Outdoor temps were in the low 30s.

It seems like a whole chimney might be too much for me to use when only grilling two pieces of meat so I was curious if anyone uses more or less.

Chuck... for grilling I use either the Platinum or one of my 22" Kettles. One half of a chimney for me is sufficient to grill 2 NY steaks, one med-rare the other rare. I bank the coals.

joe

I bank on both sides, and I use 15 briquets per side (I light them in the chimney and half them after I dump them into the grill. I make sure that they are white before putting the meat on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary McD:
I bank on both sides, and I use 15 briquets per side (I light them in the chimney and half them after I dump them into the grill. I make sure that they are white before putting the meat on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That sounds like a great idea. I never thought of banking on both sides. How hot does your grill get with 15 on each side?

i never had success with banking on both sides so i gave up. but try it to make sure. that being said i would really suggest that you get a smokey joe and use lump charcoal. it uses very little charcoal and cooks mean steaks. for my wife and i its my go to kettle.

A full Weber chimney, about 100 briquettes, when at their hottest will get you well over 500* as you said. Depending on the thickness of the meat, that may not be a bad thing, although for just two pieces I'd use less. Thin steaks and chops IMO are best grilled quickly while thick cuts need some indirect time otherwise the outside will burn before the inside is done.

Chuck,

You described my method almost to a T. The only difference is that I toss a couple of oak chunks in with the Kingsford. I'm very happy with this set up and wouldn't change a thing. The steaks and burgers always come out well cooked and tasty.

Bill

i have a weber performer and a smokey joe silver which is perfect grilling combo for me since i cook for 2 people most of the time.

burgers, hot dogs, steak for 2 people i use smokey joe. all it takes is 50 briquetes at most.

ribs, tri tip or any big piece of meat to use for the weeks lunch i use the performer.

if i were you id spend $30 for the smokey joe silver. youre definitely wasting charcoal imo.

btw what kingsford coupon do you mean? can i get one? i buy kingsford from costco at about $15 or $16 for two 20lb bags.

I use a full chimney with my Performer. As soon as I'm finished, I close the vents and choke out the fire. If I'm just doing burgers or steaks, I usually have about half a chimney left for the next cook.

I do the same thing as JimK. I start with a full chimney and than choke it out when I'm done. That way i just throw in whats left along with about half a chimney of new coal for the next cook. It does fine for grillin just a few things. If i cook a big meal i just start with a full chimney of fresh stuff

Do you guys put the remaining coal from the previous cook in the chimney for the next cook or do you just dump some fresh lit coals on the remaining coal from the previous cook?

Back