OK, chimney or lighter fluid; when is the appropriate time

W

Willie S

Lighter fluid; oh my God how dare you to bring that up! I use both; lighter fluid and chimney for particular occasions; is that inappropriate? It's according to what I'm cookin', how much, what grill or smoker I'm usin'.... How about you...when is it appropriate; never or sometimes.. Flame on!!!!!

I never use lighter fluid period. I use those little weber lighter cube things. I light 2 of them, set the chimney on top and walk away and get things prepared. Perfect light every time! I just bought a big outdoor propane burner for steaming crabs so I may end up using that some to get the charcoal started.

I only use lighter fluid to start camp fires, or to cook things that complement a tire fire. Seriously?

flamethrower.jpg

I'm also anti-lighter fluid, I always use the chimney. If I must, the alternative is some fire starters from REI (sporting goods store) made mostly from sawdust, great for starting campfires as well.

I haven't used lighter fluid in over twenty years. For me it's always the chimney, even if I have to bring it with me!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
what is lighter fluid? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stuff you put in a cigarette lighter.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Hughes:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
what is lighter fluid? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stuff you put in a cigarette lighter.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...which then can be used to light the newspaper under your charcoal chimney.

Unless I totally ran out of paper to put under the chimney, I can't imagine a situation where I would need to use fluid.

I guess if I had to light coals for a large pit and I was in a pinch I'd have to go to it.

At home, the chimney works juat as well and just as fast.

I am a recent convert to using the chimney for everything. I used to think that lighter fluid didn't make that much of a differnce until I stopped using for a while. Now I can't stand the stuff.

Gasoline!

The "real man's" lighter fluid.......
(Gee uncle Ron, why did your grill go "Boom!"?)

just kidding, of course

If you like the taste of a petroleum based solvent, it's alot easier to marinade your meat over night in lighter fluid and then pour the excess marinade on the charcoal - light and go

I use 4-5 Matchlight briquettes, at the bottom, of my chimney. It gets the rest of the coals going. It's a good method, that America's Test Kitchen, recommend, and it works very well for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael C.:
I use 4-5 Matchlight briquettes, at the bottom, of my chimney. It gets the rest of the coals going. It's a good method, that America's Test Kitchen, recommend, and it works very well for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't stand the taste of matchlight charcoal. Just my opinion but it's the same as using lighter fluid since it's soaked in the the charcoal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BradP "p-nut":
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael C.:
I use 4-5 Matchlight briquettes, at the bottom, of my chimney. It gets the rest of the coals going. It's a good method, that America's Test Kitchen, recommend, and it works very well for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't stand the taste of matchlight charcoal. Just my opinion but it's the same as using lighter fluid since it's soaked in the the charcoal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kinda what i was thinking. Most of the time I use my chimney on my performer. If I don't have any propane I just use a few paper towels or newspaper with a little PAM sprayed on it.

Used it for many years until I saw a chimney, and that was 10 yrs ago! Who don't want to watch a fire get started!

Back