Help getting started

Tony Lampher

TVWBB Fan
I think i would love to make my own pork sausage as well as brats, but have no idea where to start or what I need to get started. Few questions I have right off the bat are.
1. What equipment do i need to get started.
2. What cuts of meat are used and do i need a meat grinder or do I start out buying ground pork and hamburger?

You can start out buying ground meat but it tends to be too finely ground for many sausage types. Alternatively, you can use a processor. Better is either the grinder attachment for a KitchenAid (or similar) mixer, if you have one, or get a dedicated meat grinder with appropriate disks.

If making link sausage you'll need a stuffing attachment or dedicated stuffer.

You'll need sausage casings for links, for cured sausages you'll need curing salt, and several other ingredients, depending on sausage type.

For an easy no-fuss first project you can simply buy ground pork and make breakfast sausage in bulk.

Pork butt is commonly used in sausage; fattier cuts from beef, turkey, lamb, are also used, depending on sausage type.

I'll second everything from Kevin and I'll highly recommend a 5 lb crank stuffer, it'll really make things easier for you. I tried to avoid purchasing one for awhile, but once I got one, I realized the error in my ways.

good luck.

Thanks guys. I have been thinking of getting a heavy duty mixer anyway so i can make pizza dough. May need to start with the mixer and slowly add in the sausage making toys, so it doesn't break the bank in one shot! Which crank stuffer is recommended?

not sure what you mean about "heavy duty mixer."

I have a 5.5 qt kitchen aid that does not have sufficient capacity to mix a 5 lb batch of sausage. A mixer is nice for helping establish the bind, but I prefer to do it in a large bucket that's more work, but less mess and less clean up.

there a 5 lb stuffer model that is pretty ubiquitous. I'm guessing it comes from china and everybody (Northern Tool, Lem, Grizzly, Sausage maker etc) rebrands it. Look for the cheapest price, its about all you can do.

A heavy duty mixer is basically a mixer built for more load when compared to a low cost hand held mixer. I will look into this, thanks again for the help. Are there any good books I should buy to help get me going that might list equipment and have some beginner recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A heavy duty mixer is basically a mixer built for more load when compared to a low cost hand held mixer. I will look into this, thanks again for the help. Are there any good books I should buy to help get me going that might list equipment and have some beginner recipes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assumed you meant kitchen aid but I wasn't sure if you were buying it for mixing or the grinder attachment.

check out Charcuterie by Ruhlman and Polcyn, its by far the most accessible (and practical) text in the field. Once you get the hang of things, there's a ton of recipe books and recipes on line that you can sift through, but knowing the Rulman/Polcyn ratios help a lot when evaluating whether a recipe will work or not.

Thanks again! I found the book on amazon. i was also looking at the kitchen aide mixers and attachments. i only saw one mixer that said it had a tilting head. is the tilting head required for the attachements to work properly such as the grinder?

Thanks, I found the book on amazon. I was also looking at the kitchenaide mixers and attachments. I only saw one mixer that said tilting head. Is this required for the meat grinder attachment? Looking at the attachment and the regular mixer it looks like the grinder will sit sideways instead of upright unless you tilt the head?

I see you can also get a sausage stuffing attachment for the mixer. Will this work for stuffing or do you think I would need the 5 lb upright?

It works but many don't like it very much. It is easiest if you have a second pair of hands to help. It's a less expensive option than a dedicated stuffer and might be something worth trying, to see if you like it okay, prior to a stuffer purchase. That said, if you are fairly certain you'll be making sausage (it is not difficult, fun, and the results are better than storebought in most cases) then just go for the stuffer rather than the attachment.

stuffing with your grinder is a PITA. It takes a minimum 2 people and the results aren't great.

Check out my first reply. You think you can avoid using one, but once you get one, you'll wonder why you went so long with out it.

Before Kevin replied first, I was actually thinking of recommending that you get the stuffer first and not worry about the grinder (butchers will usually grind anything you need).

I do not really understand the PITA- part of the mixer- based stuffing. I have an old Electrolux- model, we have always been two people, one to feed the stuffer to be sure to avoid air pockets, and one to control the casings. As soon as I realized that the tip "keep things cool" was very important, I have hung a icepack over the shaft og the grinder. It helped a lot.
There is no way I can justify the cost of a dedicated stuffer. I have noe problems using my old machine for this.
On the other hand, I trust you guys- so- what is the fuss about? What's the problem, really?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I do not really understand the PITA- part of the mixer- based stuffing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm, one person operation, no need for an ice pack, perfect filling, super quick, easy clean up...

I suppose one could get efficient stuffing with a grinder, but I switched to a dedicated stuffer before I ever got to that point.

Do you guys use your WSM for smoking the sausage? It looks like they recommend 160, not sure how to keep the temp that low for a long period of time?

Where in the world do you buy the proq from? All I can find is forums about them and reviews. Are they just a one use item or can you buy wood refills?

Back