Maple Bacon: Pellicle Formation

Shelly

TVWBB Member
I've got 4 sides of pork belly (9lbs each) cut into roughly 2.5lb slabs and curing in my refrigerator. Using the "Charcuterie" recipe. The next step is drying for pellicle formation prior to smoking. The problem is, I've got a total of 16 slabs, and not enough room in the refrigerator to do anywhere near that many. Can I do the drying step at room temp? Seems half the recipes have you hanging some cured pork at room temp, so I was wondering why the bacon calls for refrigerating.

Shelly, you can set them on wire racks in front of a fan for about an hr to form the pellicle. Flip them after a half hour and your good to go on the to the smoker. This is how I do all my bacon. Picked this trick up from Alton Brown.

Excellent. So I'm NOT going to be responsible for the deaths of 8 people. (At least death by tainted bacon is one of the better ways to go).

I have done it this way also. I have also formed the pellicule on salmon this way that I have cured prior to smoking it. You will really like the "Charcterie" recipe. I just smoked up 3 slabs of 2.5 pounds each last week that I cured using this recipe. I have just ordered a pork belly from a producer of Large Black Pig breed. It will cost a small fortune but I'm curious as to how a hertiage belly compares to that which I normally get, which is just your plain garden-variety type.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Large Black Pig </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They have a terrific flavor. I highly recommend that you try to score a butt and/or loin as well.

[/QUOTE]
They have a terrific flavor. I highly recommend that you try to score a butt and/or loin as well.[/QUOTE]

The farmer sells at our local market every Sunday and this Sunday I will be picking up my fresh belly from them. Last Sunday I bought some shoulder chops and they recommended braising them. I will have to try their butt as well. Maybe a loin also. If we like their stuff we can buy a side for $4.50 a pound hanging weight. Plus, of course, a charge for the butchering & wrapping. It may be worth it if it is that much better than the "regular stuff".

Back