I've joined the Weber Q club

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I have given Weber Q's as gifts to a brother and to a sister, but today I bought one for myself. Heading out on an RV trip soon, thought I'd take a Smokey Joe Platinum, but the convenience of the Weber Q 220 won me over.

I'm looking forward to getting to know this little grill, and I will check the past threads here for tips.

ThankQ,
Chris

Welcome chris! The Q is such an amazing grill that I rarely use my kettles anymore. My WSM I use alot, but it's hard to match the precise temperature control and even heating of the Q.

Great choice Chris
I will keep going until I have everyone of you converted to cooking on a Q.
Any questions about it's use fire away. We would love to help you.

Regards

Hiya Chris,

It's good that you have chosen to go the Weber Q way for some of your cooking and I'll be very interested to see your evaluation on these little gassers.
I've had the little Q120 for 3 years and have just updated it to the Q220.I'm still getting used to the bigger cooking area and the way it heats.I generally use mine about 3-5 nights Per Week, all year round so they get plenty of use and I find them to be a great grill.I needed to Q220 for the higher lid space and a bit more grunt.The Q120 would be a great camping tool.

Cheers

Davo

I took my Q 220 on an RV trip and grilled steaks on it twice. Super easy to use, came up to 450*F quickly. I have to say, there was something very satisfying about just turning the thing on HIGH and cooking a 1" thick steak for 2 minutes, turning 90* and cooking for 2 more minutes, then flipping and repeating on the second side. Done. Easy. Somewhere between medium rare and medium. Actually easier than my Summit which seems to run so hot I have to be careful not to overcook.

Great trial run.

Regards,
Chris

Wow Chris, that's some quick grillin' but that's to be expected with these Weber Q's, they are brilliant, quick, fuss free and easy to use.
I have owned a Q120 for nearly 3 years and just bought it to do the quick midweek steaks,chops and lots of grilled vegies and it had been a great little machine but I wanted more grunt and more grillin space so recently upgraded to the Q220 which I think is the best allround size for most applications.
I'm still getting used to the Q220 as this one has the temp guage which i never had in the Q120 and I don't know if the temp guage is actually an asset on these or not as I had nothing to compare it with on the smaller one but I have had the Temp Guage wound past the 600F mark (off the richter scale
icon_rolleyes.gif
)

I was just wondering though, did you find the Q220 a little cumbersome as a portable grill while camping or not at all?
I didn't realise how much bigger the Q220 was till I set it up at home where the 120 was on the same cart.It actually looked smaller in the shop than it does at my place.

Cheers

Davo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I took my Q 220 on an RV trip and grilled steaks on it twice. Super easy to use, came up to 450*F quickly. I have to say, there was something very satisfying about just turning the thing on HIGH and cooking a 1" thick steak for 2 minutes, turning 90* and cooking for 2 more minutes, then flipping and repeating on the second side. Done. Easy. Somewhere between medium rare and medium. Actually easier than my Summit which seems to run so hot I have to be careful not to overcook.

Great trial run.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And now you understand why I sing it's praise so loud.

It is a totally awesome grill.

regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davo:
...did you find the Q220 a little cumbersome as a portable grill while camping or not at all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, I did. It wouldn't fit into any of the storage compartments on the outside of the RV I rented, so it lived inside on one of the dining table seats. Not practical if you had a bunch of people in the RV, but OK for me. Maybe the Q120 would be more practical for camping, as someone else mentioned.

Regards,
Chris

Yes Chris, I thought you might've found it a bit cumbersome as the Q220 is really better on a balcony or porch at home sitting on the cart.

The little Baby Q120 would be the perfect Companion for an average family in a RV.
When I relied on the little Q120 for nearly
3 years, I found it no problem to grill the vegetables first, foil up to keep warm & moist then do the meat.I've cooked for up to 6 people on the little Q120 as the Kettle was in storage for a few months.
And as the saying goes "it ran on the smell of an oily rag"!! It was so cheap to run.
They are selling great guns down here in Australia amounst the retiree travellers (grey nomads)and campers alike.

Cheers

Davo

Chris, now you need to get the griddle. You would have to leave at home because it is heavy, but oh, wait until you do a steak or hamburger on it. You may never go back to grilling. Portable is in the eye of the beholder. My Q200 is a little bulky, but with the bag moves well. Once you set up and start cooking, the extra muscle was worth it. After many, many portables, this is the finest portable grill ever made, just keep the inside clean.

Actually...due to the bulky nature of the Q220, I sold it on Craigslist to a nice man who wanted it for Father's Day. I recouped a good chunk of my money and may buy a Q120 instead.

Chris

I have a Q100 that we use for camping. I can cook for four on it and it's small enough to pack along. I just recently got the folding stand for it and also have a griddle that we LOVE for things like eggs, bacon, sausage and pancakes or french toast for breakfast.

If you don't want to use the disposable tanks and are pressed for space, you can buy a 5 lb propane tank or even a 10 lb tank that is a LOT smaller then a normal 20 lb tank.

Back