pulled pork - Cuban style?

Bob L

TVWBB Super Fan
HI -

Wonder if anybody can help me. I am planning on doing pulled pork for this years smoke-day and I was thinking about doing it :cuban Style'. The problem is I do not have a recipe. Every I know won't give one up.

From what I know it is a vinegar based sauce. It is a little like a NC sauce. I have had it made for me a few times from different people and they all tasted about the same.

I know I am being vague, but does anybody have any insight into this recipe?

BTW, I will be camping and I will be attempting this on my Jumbo Joe.

Bobby Flay did a Cuban pork throw down awhile back. Look on the food network for his recipe. Also Tyler Florence has a Cuban Sandwich recipe on there, that got rave reviews. KK should be along to offer his version as well.

Paul and Bryan -

Thanks for the links! Both look so good. I believe they are very close to what I had. I think the cumin was the spice I was missing.

If it's Cuban you're looking for then it's mojo. The combo of pork and mojo is ubiquitous there.

Cubans would normally slit or slash a pork roast all over then marinate in some mojo overnight before roasting, adding more mojo over the roast periodically. You can do this, skipping the roasting pan or using one (or foil), or you can simply add the mojo to the pork as you pull it. (You can cook the mojo some first to soften its flavors, if you wish, as occurs typically, passing more, cooked and/or uncooked, on the side after serving.)

Kevin could i do a butt using the linked mojo recipe on an overnight cook?

Might be fun to compare it with a more 'traditional' butt.

All turned out well-

While camping this weekend, cooked a high heat pork butt from Kevin's recipe on my Jumbo Joe for smoke day. Turned out real good, and the JJ held the temps quite nicely the whole day. (I think I was channeling all the good BBQ energy flowing through the world!). Had the one side vent open where the coals were and had the other side vent closed. The top vent was about 1/2 opened and positioned on far side of the open vent.

I think the wife has pictures.

Back