Roaster Pan Instead of Foil?

John Watson

Has anyone here tried using a large roaster pan instead of foil to Texas crutch brisket?

I want to avoid aluminum.

I don't see why it wouldn't work to help raise the temperature during the stall.

The only difference I see is that foil would be tighter and maybe inhibit evaporation/cooling better, though with a tight lid that might be moot.

Might be easier to catch juices, and be easier to handle.

Thoughts?

Sure thing John. I use several pans, casseroles that just fit on my 18". It's not the width or length you have to make sure fits, but the diagonal.

Tim

That would work fine but if not trimmed of a lot of the fat before hand it could end up swimming in it,a way to keep it from getting soggy is to put cookie cooling racks in the bottom to hold it out of the juices,I have used this method and it works great

I always use a roaster pan with the lid on wrapped in my "smoker" blanket (just an old blanket, nothing special) and put the whole thing inside my microwave. It's a little tight fit but rearranging the blanket makes it fit without any damage to the microwave door. Use a rack inside the roaster.

Micro is naturally insulated so in effect I've got two layers of insulation. Stays hot for hours and will continue cooking. Micro is ONLY used for holding time, not nuking anything.

Just realized: were you putting this back in the smoker? If so, just be aware that the roaster will accumulate a nice coating of black. Mr Clean magic eraser cleans it off quite nicely.

Back