Homemade yogurt question

Ray Crick

TVWBB Emerald Member
I often make homemade youurt and have always followed the instructions that came with my yougur maker(heat milk, then cool to 110 degrees, add culture, and put in machine for 4 to 6 hrs).

A friend told me that she puts the culture and the milk in her machine and turns it on overnight. She never bothers with the heat up and cool down. Well, I tried it that way this week and it was simple and the yougurt tastes great. Anyone else do it this way?

Any health issues with doing it this way?

Would appreciate your opinions.

Ray

No, not really. The yogurt should become acidic enough to thwart pathogen growth.

Heating the milk first alters the whey proteins and yields a denser product (the type and number of bacterial cultures used affects this as well) and the resulting consistency is usually finer as well.

Ray, how log have you been making yogurt? What maker do you use? Finally, what are the benefits of making your own...I know you control what goes in it but what is the primary advantage? Thanks

Steve,

I have been making my own for about 4 years. The homemade tastes better and I can control the ingredients (my wife prefers organic milks).

The maker I have came from Amazon - see Salton Yogurt Maker

The "culture I use is actually just about 1/4 cup of yogurt from the last batch. Or you can use a small package of the storebought stuff to start.

Let me know if you get a maker and how you like it. Also see my reply to Kevin.

Ray

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure it was safe.

I agree that the yogurt is not quite as thick this way, but I can always strain it if I want thicker. I usually do this by straining with a cheesecloth lined sieve when I am planning to make a raita or Tza-Tziki.

Ray

Ray, thanks. That was the model that got my attention. With the price of good yogurt climbing...Stoneyfield...I figured I would just makes some.

How do you flavor yours and do you have any comments on non-fat milk to regular...we usually have low or no fat milk on hand.

Steve,

I try to use organic whole milk. I have found that the no-fat is difficult to make yogurt with. The low-fat makes the yogurt but takes a bit longer. Also, the ultra pasteurized is more difficult.

I once tried ultrapasteurized, non-fat and it would not work.

My overall preference is 2% fat, organic, that is not ultrapasteeurized.

AS for flavoring, I add them after the yogurt is made (usually fruits).

Get the Salton, experiment, and find out your preferences. The homemade stuff is so superior, and if yoy drain it (cheesecloth over a sieve overnight) you get a much "cheesier" consistency.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out for you.

Ray

If you want to use nonfat milk you can mix some nonfat dry milk into it before adding the culture. This will make a thicker result when the yogurt is done.

Back