Mustard substitute

S.M. Swanny

TVWBB Member
See many recipes that call for mustard. The Mrs is allergic to all types of mustart. Any good substitutes I can try??

Thanks.

Originally posted by S.M. Swanny:
See many recipes that call for mustard. The Mrs is allergic to all types of mustart. Any good substitutes I can try??

Thanks.

Anything 'wet' will work. Worcestershire, cola, coffee, water, oil, etc., in almost all cases you will not be able to tell what you put on it after it's cooked anyways.

Any thing work as a substitute for dry mustard?

If you are looking for a sub in a dry rub, don't bother. Powdered mustard does not hold up to long periods of dry heat and adds little to the flavor of the finished meat. You could swap it for wheat flour or sawdust and probably get similar results.

penzey's sells pure wasabi powder. inexpensive wasabi is usually mustard, but I recall reading something about them selling the real deal which I'm sure wouldn't have the same allergens. or you could look for horseradish powder.

I'm not sure how a wasabi or horseradish powder would work, but I tend to think of themas having a similar taste/burn to mustard.

If you are looking for a sub in a dry rub, don't bother.
Yup. Just drop it altogether.

Without knowing the allergen(s) you might need to avoid horseradish and wassabi as they are in the same family and contain several of the same chemical components. If color is needed, replace dry mustard with turmeric. If you want to replace the dropped dry mustard with something of the same volume turmeric would work here too - or simply add a little more of the other ingredients in the recipe, in sufficient quantity to make up the same volume of the avoided mustard.

Thanks for the replies.

As much as I could use the insurance money, I think I'll leave the mustard(s) out and keep the wife around for a while. I haven't found anyone else to mow the yard!
icon_wink.gif

Steve

Without knowing the allergen(s) you might need to avoid horseradish and wassabi as they are in the same family and contain several of the same chemical components.

that would justify my belief that they have similar tastes.

I wasn't sure if they were similar. I was basing it on the fact that horseradish is a root and mustard was a seed. I guess I'm not surprised since mustard has been bred in lots of different directions.

Originally posted by S.M. Swanny:
Thanks for the replies.

As much as I could use the insurance money, I think I'll leave the mustard(s) out and keep the wife around for a while. I haven't found anyone else to mow the yard!
icon_wink.gif

Steve

That's funny!!

Sorry, I thought you were asking about using a mustard slather, not dry mustard. Sorry bout that!
icon_wink.gif

Back