Virgin Butt and Ribs

Vinny G

TVWBB Fan
To all Member
Today is my first Butt and Ribs on the WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif
. Got up a 5:00am. But Rub on last night on both. Got the butt on at 7:30am. 10:50am internal temps went to 170. Thinking about putting the butt on sec rack and put the ribs on the top rack at 11:30. Do a 3-1-1 method on the ribs. Should internal temps on the butt go to 195? Any help today would be very appreciated!!
icon_eek.gif

Hey Vinny, sounds like a fun cook! Moving the butt to the bottom rack will be the easiest. How big is the butt? Regarding temp., I've had butts done at 187 - 205. Temp is only a guideline, she's done when she's done and the way to determine that is does the bone move cleanly from the meat when you twist it, or if she's boneless you can stick a fork in her and twist to test for doneness.

What kind of ribs are you doing, BB or spares? If Spares you'll want to increase to something more along the lines of a 4-1-1. Also depends on what kind of temps your cooking at.

Enjoy your cook and remember to post some pics!

Hay Larry
Its 11:30, Butt is in there for 4 hours going on 4.5 hours temp are at 181. Never stalled
icon_confused.gif
Putting Spares on in a couple of min. Lid temp are about 250. It might of not stalled because temps got up to 300 for a .5 an hour or so, because of water went down some, refilled temp back to 225-250. What do you think?

Could be, I've had butts that didn't stall or the stall was quite short. How big is she? She'll slow down when you put her on the bottom rack. I'd also move your probe around to make sure you're getting an accurate reading. And speaking of accurate readings, you didn't happen to check the accuracy of your therm prior to using it did you, maybe your therm is off.

If the butt finishes early wrap her in foil then in a towel and place her in a towel lined ice chest. I've held for up to 5 hours with excellent results.

Larry
Moved the butt down, put ribs and yams on top
icon_razz.gif
. Had to stir up coals to get temp back up to 225. Butt internal temps are 172 now staying that way for an hour now,(I moved to probe to a different spot further away from bone).She is a 8lb with a bone in it. Do you spray the ribs at 3 hour point with apple juice and foil? And before we go any further I really than you for all you help
icon_smile.gif
I also want to post pic but don't know how. Can you help there too.

HOW TO POST PHOTOS

Yea, temp away from the bone. At 172 I'd say you still have while to go (since she's an 8 lb butt).

On the ribs, I suppose I do something similar to spraying; if foiling ribs I'll throw a little fruit juice in the foil pouch. I've used everything from apple juice to Capri Sun with a shot of Patron (don't ask).

Sounds like you're enjoying your cook.

Hi Larry
Thank you again for holding my hand yesterday
icon_smile.gif

The rib meat was cooked to prefection. But the rub was not to our liking!! Toooo hot. Like a sweeter rib tast. The Butt now is a differnt story. It came out great. Took her off when temp were at 195 ( 11 hours). Bone came right out just like you said. Didn't know there was 2 bones in there
icon_redface.gif
. Thats why temp were so fast in the beging. Will eat it today. Any hints on reheating some up. I quess micro? Ok pic hope this works!

]Virgin Butt and Ribs[/URL]

Keep on Smoking
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Great Vinny, glad to hear everything turned out. I've recently started using a rub put together by Kevin K, it's in the recipes section, you might want to give it a shot, it's pretty mild with great flavor.

Reheating, if it's in a vac seal bag we just drop it in just under boiling water for about 20 min. Otherwise we'll put it in a microwavable bowl, throw a little chicken or beef stock or even apple juice, cover with plastic wrap and nuke on 70% until warm.

Back