wsm grill grates

Jon Merka

TVWBB Pro
well i messed up. this weekend i made some ribs on my wsm and left out my lower grate and forgot i had done so. now it is covered in rust from the rains the last couple of days. its so bad there is no saving it. i cannot find replacement lower grates on weber site anyone have any idea where to get a new lower grate preferably a porcelain coated one??

well i am not lookign for weber to replace it through my stupidity. i was mainly wondering if anyone knew of porcelain plated grills for the WSM. i have one for my 22" kettle and would like them for the WSM lower grate. thanks for the response.

weber only has the steel ones for the wsm.

Jon.
Have you ever tried using your top grate as a lower grate?
It wont fit on the grate straps, but it will rest on the bolts. Weber does have a replacement SS top grate, so that could be an option if you like.
Lowe"s or Menards sells some off-brand PC grates, though I'm not sure of the sizes.
HTH
Tim

Jon - do you recall where you got the porcelain plated grate for your 22" kettle?? I've been looking for one of those!

Pat

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Jon - do you recall where you got the porcelain plated grate for your 22" kettle?? I've been looking for one of those!

Pat

i got it at my local Menards i beleive. menards is a cheap version of lowes or home depot. the porcelain finsih on it is very thin so any hard scraping will expose bare metal. i got a small section where i scratched it off by being too vigorous with the brush. i now just use the burn off method and a light brushing to remove the ash.

so i have been looking for a wsm sized lower grate. i will prolly just order a replacement from weber its not that big of a deal heh.

Jon, I actually bought a second top grill, to replace my lower grill. Like the earlier fella said, it rests nicely on the bolts, and I like the handles.

The SS top grate cleans up much easier than the nickel plated. That and it will last for several more years than a nickel plated on.

I used bolts to add a third grate to my middle section and used a 22" top grate for the middle grate.

Originally posted by Jon Merka:
well i messed up... and left out my lower grate and forgot i had done so. now it is covered in rust from the rains the last couple of days. its so bad there is no saving it.
I bet a little time and an SOS pad would save that grate. I have a WSM that is 31 years old and all of the grates are original.

Home Depot had some replacement grates that I seen that where in chrome...not sure they were the Exact ones that fit in the WSM but there were probably 10-15 different grates there with the Weber grills and products.

I know this thread is old at this point but just in case anyone else reads this thread and could find this information useful...

The top grate of the 18.5 is the same grate used on the 18.5 kettles. You can usually find those in the big box stores. The middle and charcoal grate are specific to the 18.5 WSM. You can try someplace like BBQ's galore but they'll have to special order it and it ends up being more expensive than just calling Weber. I replaced all three grates about a year ago on mine and I think it cost me something like $50 after tax and shipping.

Back