St Louis cut ribs on Performer using snake method

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Happy Smoke Day, TVWBB peeps.

Finally used my Performer to cook ribs instead of my 18.5 WSM. Really liked it; will do again although I had difficulty keeping temps up on a cool, blustery morning--may need to use more briquettes next time. Cooked a little over 5 hours.... 3 hours uncovered then foiled for 1.5 and back out unwrapped for another 45. Mainly cherry with some hickory. Dr. BBQ's basic rub (which I think I'm adding more salt to it, as I like to eat my ribs with little to no sauce). Overall, they turned out great. Didn't get a sliced rib shot (who has time with people screaming to get fed??), but they had a nice smoke ring.

Dr. BBQ's basic rub from his first book

Used a mustard base

The Snake (before wood placement)

Two hours in

Three hours in--time to foil with cider vinegar and honey

Time to eat

Nicely done sir. That's some serious pull back on those bones. The key to being asked to cook more is to make what folks want. Sounds like you had 'em screamin' for the goods! That's good -- more cookin!

Late night snack!
That's a little Modified #5 sauce on the ribs. My standard now (simplified from years gone by, e.g., adding beef broth, molasses) is:

1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp whatever rub I'm using
1 Tbsp Wors Sauce
1 Tbsp honey

Recipe seems to double nicely, too. It's funny, though, in that many people--when trying it for the first time--are taken aback by the lack of liquid smoke. I now almost gag when I taste a lot of the commercial stuff.

Back