Smoke Day warm up, brisket

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I'm leaning towards doing a butt, and maybe a tri tip, for Smoke Day, but yesterday I cut off a piece of Prime brisket flat to smoke for dinner.

Details up front.
Seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Apple and hickory for smoke, ring of Kbb, minioned with Chef's Select briqs.
The dome therm on my 14" WSM read 250° for most of the cook.

Internal read 165° after only 2 hours, so I wrapped it in butcher paper.
After 2 more hours it was 205° internal and probing pretty much tender.
Wrapped in newspaper, then a beach towel, and rested in a closed microwave for over 2 hours.

When sliced, the thin tapered part was, as expected, fairly dry, but the moisture increased the farther up the ladder I cut.
Served on a roll from a small town mom and pop bakery with a dab of honey/sriracha bbq sauce.
Wife and I were very pleased with the outcome.

IMGP3632.JPG

IMGP3636.JPG

IMGP3642.JPG

IMGP3646.JPG

IMGP3648.JPG

IMGP3653.JPG

IMGP3663.JPG

Then came this morning's breakfast.

IMGP3665.JPG

Thanks for stopping by!

WOW Bob, being a brisket lover myself, yours looks money on. Love the breakfast sammie.
I'll be doing a brisket on smoke day, among many other things. Going all out this year.

Nice smoke ring! Good job!
I'll be doing a prime packer (my first low & slow overnighter using my Pitmaster iq 110) and brats on the WSM on my smoke day (has to be Sunday, a party popped up for Saturday night and me and the boys will be busy) and a spatchcock bird on the Summit and have my son's family coming over.

Glad to see your cook Bob, going to be doing our first ever brisket flat on smoke day. Wasn't quite sure how to approach it, seeing this helps me get some ideas. Hope it comes out as good as yours and if it does I'm going to drag out the full brisket in the freezer and go for it, that will be first also.

Last edited:
Bob, you nailed that one and that plate of food is to die for. I like your breakfast sammie, wewill be doing that next Sunday also.

Thanks everyone!

Dustin,
The meat went on cold, and the main fuel was Kingsford original, other than that I can't determine why I usually get a pretty decent ring.
Climate too maybe?
Or like my late dad use to tell me when I couldn't get fish to bite:
"Son, you're not holding your mouth right." :)

Back