High-Heat Brisket

I Marks

TVWBB Member
First brisket on the WSM tomorrow. Is it really so that I can cook 9-10 lbs. of it for 4 or so hours at 350 degrees and have something as good as low-and-slow? Hard to believe...

Yep, it is true that it will be better than low and slow if you do it right.
icon_wink.gif

IMO the only difference will be the bark. If you're a bark fan you may be a little disappointed. But otherwise can't beat a high heat brisket.

Then high-heat it is! 350 degrees for 4-5 hours...

Thanks all for the encouragement. I'll keep my fingers crossed just in case.

Read the thread on high heat cooking on this site.Read about foiling(if you intend to foil) Also, remember, 4-5 hrs. approximate time. Each piece of meat is different. Allow some rest time for the meat after it's done.Lastly, Enjoy the process and the cook.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but have any of you ever smoked a frozen brisket? If so, did you do it "low and slow" or "high heat" ?

I'm doing 350 now. I got a brisket and thought it was a packer or whatever and it ended up being two 5lb flats. I decided to crank the WSM up to 350 and see how it goes (only cooking one, have a couple butts going on tonight anyway). It's been on for 2.5 hours now and temp is around 180. I foiled it because I'm walking out the door for about an hour or so and don't want it to over cook. When I get back I'll see how the temp and either un-foil it or just keep it as is. I'll post up pics later.
icon_wink.gif

Cool Aaron. I've only done the low and slow thing with brisket, but would like to try the high heat sometime soon. When I'm feeling really on my game...
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Brian_B:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but have any of you ever smoked a frozen brisket? If so, did you do it "low and slow" or "high heat" ?

Brian, do them all the time. Take'm from the freezer ,rub with you favorite rub, get the WSM at the proper temp, and throw it on. I do high heat all the time. Look up the thread on this site if you have questions on how to do it

my briskets were hit or miss until i started doing high heat. now they are all hit. i did a 7 pound flat today that i think would put myron mixon to shame.

Well so much for foil holding the temps down. Came home and temp was 217 and though it tasted awesome (flavor) it was dry. If I would have just pulled it and let rest in the tinfoil it would have been perfect. I should have known better...

Oh well live and learn. At least it was only a little 5lb'r.

aaron, I would have foiled a little earlier like 165-170 since you were doing just flats.Especially if you trimmed real close. Once foiled you need to check every half hour or so. Go by the feel of the meat. When you can put a probe in it like a hot knife through butter or it jiggles like your you grandma's jello. It's done Once you foil temp doesn't matter it's the feel. Try it again. I only do full packers . The extra fat on the point allows a little more fudge factor.

Back