North Carolina > Lexington: Lexington BBQ

John Sentelle

Lexington Barbecue
Wayne Monk
10 Hwy 29-70 South
Lexington, NC 27295
(336) 249-9814

I finally got the opportunity to check this place out on a recent camping trip. I'm a fan of all styles of Q and IMHO I think this place is worth the drive. This was my first run in with ketchup based cole slaw and I was immediately hooked. It was definetly some of the better NC style Q I have tried in a restaurant.

I don't believe they have a website. They have been featured on the Travel Channel on their show BBQ Paradise.

My brother took his sons--all 4 of them--there to gorge on Q when they turned 16, got driver's licenses. After MANY long taste tests, I've about got Lexington Q sauce down. (Even while I prefer Eastern NC sauce.) Old man Stubb, well, he had a unique way of teaching how to replicate other Q or sauces that ya liked, "Keep on makin' at it 'til it just hit ya, like 'at feelin' ya got when Jesus just shake all through ya, down into ya toe bone." But nobody worth a lick is going to give ya their recipe. Used to be joint off I-10, Pawpaw's in Lake Chuck (Charles) LA, had the BEST crawdad boil, including pit stops in front yards of Cajuns just doing a "berl." But, for all the times I went there on tour, or en route, could never get a SOUL to tell me the first ingredient in that boil. Well, "mudbugs." This joint is a MUST in Lexington, I think.

How did this place get a reputation?

I ate there tonight and the pork was awful.

No smoke.

No flavor.

Very dry.

Whole hog is hit or miss and I got stuck with a plate full of pork loin. No smoke ever can penetrate that far.

The slaw was good.

I ate there awhile back and it was good as always. Never had a bad meal of Q there.

Born in Charlotte NC ,raised in Davidson County NC 6 miles from Lexington, he cooks only shoulders and averages about 6000 customers per week. I have never had a bad tray there, Coarse Chopped with brown, puppies and the House Wine of the South. MMMMM mouth waters thinking about it.

Born in Charlotte NC ,raised in Davidson County NC 6 miles from Lexington, he cooks only shoulders and averages about 6000 customers per week. I have never had a bad tray there, Coarse Chopped with brown, puppies and the House Wine of the South. MMMMM mouth waters thinking about it.
Born and raised in good ole Granite Quarry (currently Wilmington as of 15 yrs) so I've had my share of food there and I agree, never had any bad. By the way, they don't know what real barbeque is down here JTodd.

Back