New Slicer Inbound

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I've been hit by the "make my own deli meat" bug, having had some success with eye round roast on a couple occasions. My in-laws gave me an old slicer they had...a Waring, I think...that's mostly plastic. I think the motor and the blade are the only metal on it. It worked OK, but was noisy (plastic sliding on plastic squeaks, etc.) and didn't make such a clean cut (probably because it's 25 years old and could use a blade sharpening).

Anyway, I was so annoyed, I decided to watch for a sale on a new slicer. Last week, Academy put a couple of them on sale for 1/2 (or nearly 1/2) off:
http://www.academy.com/shop/SearchD...&pageView=grid&minPrice=&maxPrice=&pageSize=&

They look like the same exact slicer, one of them re-branded. Since that one (the Browning) was a better deal, that's what I got. I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to try it out, but when I do, I'll post the results here.

Wow helluva price there! Think i'm sold on one too LOL! I've also been on the hunt for a quality affordable slicer!

I already have the grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer, which (so far) has handled all my meat grinding needs.

I ordered both the grinder and the slicer. Got an email today, canceling the grinder attachment because it is out of stock. :(

I ordered both the grinder and the slicer. Got an email today, canceling the grinder attachment because it is out of stock. :(

I got the slicer yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything on hand that needed slicing, but I unboxed it to check things out.

Things I like:
--> Suction cup feet that should keep it stationary on the counter
--> Nice, sharp, serrated blade
--> A toggle power switch (the hand-me-down I have has a slide switch that you have to hold "on" while slicing)
--> Metal rod with plastic (nylon?) bushings makes for a fairly smooth slide on the food platform

Things I'm not crazy about:
--> The food platform is plastic with a thin metal overlay; the overlay came off while removing the packing film and I can't tell if that overlay is supposed to come off. There's something that looks like glue residue, but very little of it, so I think maybe it's just friction-fit on there?
--> Not as heavy/stable as I was expecting (probably due to much of it being plastic); the suction-cup feet should mitigate this issue, however

I'm thinking of smoking a turkey breast on Sunday to slice for lunches next week, so that should be a good test of it. Will post results.

I regret not grabbing one when you first posted as that price was just too damn good. Does it seem easy enough to take part to clean? That's been one con i read a lot of people complain about with some slicers i've researched.

I regret not grabbing one when you first posted as that price was just too damn good. Does it seem easy enough to take part to clean? That's been one con i read a lot of people complain about with some slicers i've researched.

It looks like it's designed to be easy to clean, but until I actually use it, I'm not sure where stuff's gonna go. The fact that the bottom is more or less open means that any juices or small bits should just fall through. I'll probably put some folded up paper towels underneath it to catch that stuff and at least contain the mess.

So, an update to this. I mentioned in my Smoke Day post that I'd done some roast beef, but wanted to close the loop here, in case anyone was considering this little slicer. It's pretty nice. Not super powerful or huge. It sliced up some roast beef nicely and I'm looking forward to using it on other stuff - namely turkey breast and bacon. A larger piece of meat would need to be cut down before slicing, due to the size, but the plus side this thing doesn't take up too much space.

Back