What's The Best Way To Cook Several Racks Of Ribs?

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
Hi Jamie. I need some advice. My wife wants to have her team over for BBQ and she wants me to do ribs. There will be 10 people. I have an 18.5 WSM and a Performer. I'm thinking of doing 5 racks of baby backs. What would be the best way of doing it? Can I do them ahead of time? If so should I do them day before or morning of and how would I then finish them off? I also thought about rolling them so I could fit all 5 on the top rack of my WSM but have never done them like that. If that's the best way what is the procedure for doing that as far as turning them and finishing them?

I would cook 3 of those racks on your WSM as you usually do. And I would cook 2 of them on your Performer using the snake method. It works beautifully. I have an explanation and photo of it in my new book with a recipe for Baby Back Ribs with Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce, but you can also Google "snake method." It will hold the temperatures in your Performer between 250 and 300 degrees for three to four hours without having to add coals. It would be interesting to see which method your wife's team members prefer. Good luck!

Back