Jamie Purviance's Paella.

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
OMG! I've cooked a lot of things on my grills. This is the absolute best thing I've ever transferred from the grill to my mouth! I can't rave about this enough. If you've never made it, give it a try! I'm serious...fan-freakin'-tastic!!!

The recipe can be found here

Mise en place

IMG_2908.jpg

Broth...bubbling away.

IMG_2909.jpg

Chicken & Sausage.

IMG_2911.jpg

Rice cooking.

IMG_2912.jpg

Chicken & sausage added to the rice.

IMG_2913.jpg

Shrimp added.

IMG_2914.jpg

Done.

IMG_2915.jpg

Plated (bowled).

IMG_2916.jpg

This was a very fun cook. It took about 2 hours, perfect for after work.
Give it a try if you can!! Delicious!

Daggummit Don! Ima hungry waiting fer my wok to hit it's temp and you come around with this AWESOME cook!!!
EVERYTHING is GREAT!!!
Thank You!

Don,Don't do this to me.I just ate and now you made me hungary again!!! Nice Job.With your pictures and the recepie, even a CAVEMAN can do it.

Wow!

Showed this to the wife - we'll be doing it soon. Great job Don!

Thanks everyone. Great recipe by Jamie Purviance, definitely!!

Can't wait to try it with chorizo...

Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Paella on the grill is a revelation.
Gary, go to Webernation. Mr. Purviance has a "grilling class" that takes you step by step through this recipe. Very, very helpful. I followed the recipe (and video) word for word and it turned out perfect!

Nice work Don! and I'll agree, grilled paella is awesome. My buddy made two different ones for a party last summer and they were superb. I took some pics and was going to post it but never did.

My suggestion, if you like doing this and plan on doing it again or for guests, get a big paella pan. I think they're pretty cheap.

here's a shot from the party with the pan on the kettle:
IMG_3375.JPG

Originally posted by j biesinger:
My suggestion, if you like doing this and plan on doing it again or for guests, get a big paella pan. I think they're pretty cheap.
Way ahead of you, J.
icon_biggrin.gif
Been looking and will be getting one before the next paella cook.

Thanks!

Very nice looking dish Don. Had it in Spain when I was in the Army 44 years ago.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Loved it. Had it every day I was there on leave. I'll be on the hunt for the ingredients soon. I just won't tell the Mrs about the saffron.

9-10$ gets you a gram of the really good saffron from the spice house!!!

I love good Paella. There is a restaurant in Barcelona open since the 1800's called the 7 Portes that is one of my alltime favorite restaurants in the world that has such a great menue and incredible Paella. The produced a book called "The Book of Paellas" which is subtitled "all the rice dishes at the famous Restaurant 'Set Portes' of Barcelona" one warning is that the measurements are all metric. The information is wonderful

It's been translated and available on amazon for around $24.00 (please use the link to support this wonderful site if you are purchasing) - oh and make sure your buying the english translation.

One flavor step that I would take is a rich homemade chicken broth or better yet a seafood broth which to me makes a world of difference in the finished product over boxed broth in my opinion.

I'm thinking I may have to try Mr. Purviances version very soon (he says as he goes looking for a pan).

Back