Hello fellow Northern kalifornian

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Hi Jamie, thanks for doing a Q&A here. Many of the folks here have mastered cooking foods (meat) normally done best with a low & slow, only they're cranking up the heat and getting those cooks done in quick fashion. Many of those fast and hot cooks are really looking good too.

What's your thoughts? Assuming time in not a consideration and you're going for full blown flavor. What are you typically going to go to? Low & Slow or Hot and Fast?

Thanks and wish you all the success with your new book

Hey! Thanks for the questions, Chuck. I am more of a low-and-slow guy with the big meats full of connective tissue. I find that if you cook them too high, the meat tightens up before the collagen melts. So for brisket and pork shoulder, I like about 225-250 degrees. For ribs and chicken, I cook a bit hotter.

I hope you take a look at the book. Here's a preview. http://newamericanbarbecue.weber.com

Thanks Jamie. I see that book in my near future. I'm a low&slo guy when it comes to butts and ribs, I still have yet to do a brisket, but maybe soon. Interestingly, my ribs cooks sometimes 2 hours longer on my kettle(s) vs my wsm. I use my Redi Chek, and my grate temp is the same, be it kettle or wsm, but for some reason the wsm cooks faster. I rather use my kettles, but the family likes the results of the wsm better than the kettles. If you're doing any book signings between the bay area and sac, make sure you post your schedule

Chuck, I am doing a book signing THIS SATURDAY, May 7, at Omnivore Books in San Francisco from 3 to 4. It would great to see you there!

Back