Just bought the book!

Can't wait to read! It's going to be a long winter so I thought that I would try something new, along with hounding Kevin K. on somethings I need to fine tune
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Lampher:
what book? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably this one. I have a copy, too, thanks to my son (great gift idea).

Great book.
Just used the basic dry cure with maple sugar to make my first bacon. Tried only 5 pounds of belly to be sure it went well, and after smoking for about two hours, the verdict is officially good, as my two sons polished off a pound in two mornings.
There will be another ten pounds in the near future, smoking half and using the other half with just the cure on it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what book? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_confused.gif

it has to be one of the most influential cook books in the last 50 years. I've scoured multiple sources and have yet to find a text on the topic that's as accessible and workable.

Not to mention, I'm finding house made charcuterie in more and more restaurants, which I attribute to the book bringing these techniques and recipes to the masses.

Does Ruhlman get too much of the credit?
When I read Soul of a Chef, sure, it's nicely written, but Polcyn's the genius here, right?

I just ordered these three:

"Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing"

"Momofuku" (based on a rec here)

"Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving" (I want to can my own chili)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Does Ruhlman get too much of the credit?
When I read Soul of a Chef, sure, it's nicely written, but Polcyn's the genius here, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

check out this thread.

I'll restate my point, Ruhlman has an online presence and through that supports the text. If I had a question about a recipe, it would be Ruhlman that could respond. Polcyn pretty quiet, so the loud mouth gets the cred.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "Momofuku" (based on a rec here)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That probably would have been me. Make sure to do some internet searches, there are lots of people out there cooking these recipes, which is helpful.

Everything I've made from it has been really good.

I figured it was you or garyHnj....

My cousin has a thai gf who makes stuff like the customer images for the book @ amazon... should beat my fancied up ramen
icon_wink.gif
so long as I can pull it off. I can't wait to read up

Back