Reverse Sear vs. Sear & Slide

Rolf Jacobsen

TVWBB Emerald Member
Most of us have seen the video you did with Meathead years ago reviewing “sear and slide” to “reverse sear”. I came away with the following. Reverse sear produces a tenderer product but you don’t get the quality of crust we all enjoy. I typically use reverse sear only on thicker cuts of neat.

I would appreciate knowing the following. Do you still feel the above comments are still valid? (I ask this because most of the Weber recipes call for ‘direct over high heat”. There is no mention of either the reverse sear or sear and slide methods). Using your sear & slide method, what do you look for in the meat before you slide over to indirect? Finally, you recommend EVO. What is the advantage of this over ELO or extra light olive oil?

I apologize for so many questions but thanks for your time.

Hi Rolf -- Yes, I think those comments are still valid. I'm growing to appreciate the benefits of the "reverse sear." I used it a few times in "Weber's New American Barbecue." I like it best for meats that are at least 1.5 inches thick. They will need indirect heat for more than just a few minutes, so it makes some sense to start them that way and to cautiously approach the perfect doneness. Then you can blast them with high heat for a decent crust. Somehow the crust rarely looks and tastes as good as a crust you get from searing a raw piece of meat. I suspect the meat has "closed its pores" a little during indirect cooking. For most steaks I still prefer a quick sear first, until I like the color on both sides. Then I move the steaks over indirect.

EVO is my go-to oil. I just like the taste of it. When I use a more neutral oil like canola, I sometimes feel that something is missing -- like the food is a bit under seasoned. I've never tried ELO, to be honest, but if you like the taste of it, that's really all that matter. Use it to your heart's delight. Thanks for the questions!

Back