Initial impressions of Summit Charcoal Grilling Center

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I'll get the ball rolling with the first question.

Jamie, I saw your tweet that you took delivery of a Summit Charcoal Grilling Center. Did the assembly go smoothly? What have you cooked so far? First impressions?

scgpurviance_zpseadajrhv.jpg

Chris -- Yes, that box arrived last week just as I was just heading out of town. I was thinking about it throughout my trip and finally had a chance to assemble it yesterday with my son. It took us about an hour. I love my boy but he is not one for following directions exactly, so I had to go back and fix a few "operator errors." Anyway, it looks and feels awesome. I cooked a tri tip on it last night. Everything about the experience felt luxurious, like a really high-end car. I love have a super-strong hinge on the lid, which is much heavier than a regular kettle lid. The grates are very thick and they gave the tri tip deep, gorgeous grill marks after just a few minutes over direct heat. The amount of grilling space is awesome, making it easy to move the food to a cooler part of the grill. I really appreciate that flexibility. The fact that you can set the charcoal grate low or high for smoking or grilling is excellent. The meat came out beautifully -- helped with a handful of oak chips. What really amazed me was that I went back to the grill a couple hour after dinner and it was still hot. The charcoal was still burning. Obviously they designed it to maintain the heat with efficient insulation. I'm really looking forward to cooking some more on that beauty.

Back