dutch ovens (indoor ones) do you braise?

Paul Chan

TVWBB Member
I've always used a crockpot to do my slow-cooking, but have found it to always ended up in a mushy, but tasty mess.

I've really only been using cast iron as of late, purchasing a couple used skillets and most recently some dutch ovens.

I have one from Ikea's Senior line, which was a really good price, considering the quality of the build and finish (good fitting lid) but it is made in China

Then I found a Staub from Williams and Sonoma, the 5 quart Pumpkin, from Kijiji for $30!

I love the Staub and the Ikea with the black Matte interior enamle finish, as it sear's beautifully and gives great depth to the sauces.

I've made alot of stuff as of late, ranging from lamb shoulders, pork shoulders, chuck roasts/stews, to tonight two big batches of cabbage rolls.

I'm not sure why Staub or Le Creuset costs so much, but if you don't own one, pick up a Mario Ballati, Kirkland, Ikea, Kitchen Aid, one for $50 and enjoy a good hearty meal.

my favorite way to cook without charcoal

we usually don't have time in a given evening to complete a braise from start to finish. I do want to try more this winter and have considered making them a day ahead of time and chilling down before I go to bed. I braised some chuck this way and reheated for tacos and it worked well.

I saw this book that might interest you. I haven't seen it other that the reviews but it does sound interesting.

Paul,
Perfect timing for your post, since I recently decided that I need an enameled dutch oven.

I looked at Costco's $50, 5 quart, and it looks nice, but made in China.
I'm almost fanatical about buying USA, or Canadian
icon_smile.gif
made, if possible.
So I looked at Lodge, but their enameled models are also made in China.
Lodge does make a very resonably priced, USA made, plain CI, but I know acid foods can be a problem in these.

So for now I'm still looking, but may have to give in to the Costco oven.

One worry that I have is dropping the lid, since our stove is electric, with a glass top.

I have about 7 DO's and use one or more at a time quite frequently. Full braises on roasts, whole chicken roasts, whole turkey roasts, chicken and dumplings, various stews, beans, roasted root vegetables, large shepard pie cooks for the homeless (6-10lbs of ground beef at a time in the big oval).

They are a versatile tool in a lot of different ways. I have all cast iron DO's which are all old/used Griswolds, except the #9 oval which is an old cast aluminum Wagner Magnalite.

I also use the #6, #8, #9 size for making pot breads (non knead artisan breads).

The round ones are great for all kinds of bean and chili cooks. You can take the cast iron ones and use them directly in the WSM or Performer.

They are great for braising. Just made some bread and some chicken and dumplings yesterday!

I don't care for enabled CI all that much.

I also have a number of old CI skillets that see a lot of use as well.

Not a big fan of the newer stuff, especially the Chinese. You can't tell what they are using (old engine blocks?) and they are pretty clunky. Lodge is good if you want to by new. But I prefer the old stuff for quality. You can get them pretty reasonable if you aren't too picky and stay away from collector pieces.

If you like braised food....don't forget short ribs!
icon_wink.gif
When that red wine reduces it makes a fantastic sauce. We're just getting into the right kind of weather for that type of food...

Paul

"I" personally don't care too much about the origin's... but I work in IT and globalization unfortunately is a reality (not a big fan, but again not a huge fan of Nafta neither
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Regardless, I don't see a difference in performance with my $3XXish retail'd Staub Pumpkin compared to the $50 Ikea Senior...

That being said, I really really like the black enamle, as it is more poris than the shiny white enamled Le Creusets, Wolfgangs, Kirkland, etc...

The black matte finish "I" find sears better than my neighbor's Wolfgang, and also funny enough appears to be more "non-stick" as the black matte finish will "season"

Yet it is still not pure cast iorn like a lodge or Griswold... which means its not as versitle (no piling on charcoal or camping), but also means its a bit better for tomato based cooks, such as cabbage rolls, chili's, certain stews.

Hey Paul - used to think the same way AFA straight cast iron and acid based cooks. What I have found out along the way is that with a good seasoning/base acid aren't really an issue or problem. EXCEPT that I would not take the pot of say tomato based anything and shove it in the fridge or let it sit too long after serving. Basically need to empty the contents into other more suitable storage and clean the pot sooner rather than later.

Years ago I had what I still think was a great set of Copco enameled CI. I really liked this stuff. Circa 1970's. Lost it in a divorce settlement. It was good, I have one piece left. But frankly I like plain well seasoned cast iron now better. Just me I guess. Much more versatile and in the end at least to me easier to clean and maintain. Once the seasoning is established of course.

For example I just did a couple acid based recipes using my #9 DO. It has a great black seasoning to it now. Removed all contents shortly after the cook. Rinsed it down and a short scrub with kosher salt and it was just fine thanks. Popped it in the 250 deg oven just to dry things out. Didn't even coat it with oil it was that ready to go.

Yes good cast iron holloware doesn't care where it comes from ultimately regardless of $$$ spent.

I have a Tramontina 6.5 qt. $36 from WalMart, and rated a Best Buy.

Only problem is that the knob on the lid is only rated to about 350*, but I never cook anything in it, in the oven, at a higher temp that that.

Nice piece for the price.

Chuck

Originally posted by Chuck Davis:
I have a Tramontina 6.5 qt. $36 from WalMart, and rated a Best Buy.

Only problem is that the knob on the lid is only rated to about 350*, but I never cook anything in it, in the oven, at a higher temp that that.

Nice piece for the price.

Chuck

By comparison, the 7-1/4 quart Le Creuset dutch oven goes for $250+ on-line, although Tuesday Morning had some for around $180.

jrp

Chuck,
Thanks for posting about the Tramontina 6.5 qt. dutch oven.
I've since researched the heck out of it, and found many positive reviews.

Best price currently seems to be $45 from Wally World, and Amazon (with free shipping)

Many owners have replaced the knobs with all metal ones, even drawer pulls, to make them high temp oven proof.

I have informed "Santa-Wife"!

Originally posted by r benash:
Hey Paul - used to think the same way AFA straight cast iron and acid based cooks. What I have found out along the way is that with a good seasoning/base acid aren't really an issue or problem. EXCEPT that I would not take the pot of say tomato based anything and shove it in the fridge or let it sit too long after serving. Basically need to empty the contents into other more suitable storage and clean the pot sooner rather than later.

Years ago I had what I still think was a great set of Copco enameled CI. I really liked this stuff. Circa 1970's. Lost it in a divorce settlement. It was good, I have one piece left. But frankly I like plain well seasoned cast iron now better. Just me I guess. Much more versatile and in the end at least to me easier to clean and maintain. Once the seasoning is established of course.

For example I just did a couple acid based recipes using my #9 DO. It has a great black seasoning to it now. Removed all contents shortly after the cook. Rinsed it down and a short scrub with kosher salt and it was just fine thanks. Popped it in the 250 deg oven just to dry things out. Didn't even coat it with oil it was that ready to go.

Yes good cast iron holloware doesn't care where it comes from ultimately regardless of $$$ spent.

I agree with everything Ray has stated here. I have several traditional dutch ovens "camp style and flat bottom". Some of these I have cooked with for 20 years. If they are well seasoned, cooking a pot of tomato based sauce is not going to remove the seasoning. I am sure that if the acid based sauce was left in a dutch there is a point where the acid would eat thru the layer of seasoning but it just doesn't happen during the course of a cook.

Steve

Originally posted by Paul Chan:
I've always used a crockpot to do my slow-cooking, but have found it to always ended up in a mushy, but tasty mess.

I've really only been using cast iron as of late, purchasing a couple used skillets and most recently some dutch ovens.

I have one from Ikea's Senior line, which was a really good price, considering the quality of the build and finish (good fitting lid) but it is made in China

Then I found a Staub from Williams and Sonoma, the 5 quart Pumpkin, from Kijiji for $30!

I love the Staub and the Ikea with the black Matte interior enamle finish, as it sear's beautifully and gives great depth to the sauces.

I've made alot of stuff as of late, ranging from lamb shoulders, pork shoulders, chuck roasts/stews, to tonight two big batches of cabbage rolls.

I'm not sure why Staub or Le Creuset costs so much, but if you don't own one, pick up a Mario Ballati, Kirkland, Ikea, Kitchen Aid, one for $50 and enjoy a good hearty meal.

my favorite way to cook without charcoal

I have a 6 quart red Lodge that I am using right now to make some Ox Tail soup with barley. It sure smells great in the house!

I reccomend you buy one. Sure it will cost a bit but you will never regret buying one. I broke down and spent the money on one a year ago when Amazon had a super sale on them and a member here posted the sale info on the boards. I am REALLY glad I bought it!

I plan to buy the Le Creuset metal replacement knob for it so I can do the 500 degree artisan breads in it.

I have three: One Le Creuset 3.7 qt., one 4.2 qt. Emile Henry (black matte), and an 8.5 qt. Calphalon which I scored on Amazon for $30. The Emile Henry is my favorite, the Calphalon's lid isn't very heavy, so liquid escapes more readily.

I had my original light blue Le Creuset Dutch oven replaced free of charge by them, because my original one had chips in the ceramic coating. They don't manufacture the color I have any more, so I chose to replace it with a flame one. These work so well for short ribs, osso buco, and even slow cooked Italian meat sauces. Last night I used it to make my mashed potatoes. Le Creuset is pricey, but I find it well worth it when they have a lifetime warranty.

Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
I have a mario batali branded one that I got for about $80. Love it. Use it all the time.

+1....I don't use it all that often but no complaints...knob is good to 500 IIRC..great for no-knead bread and pot roast.....great value IMHO. I think I paid $69...very nice espresso color.

Back