Seasoning New Cast Iron

JimT

TVWBB Pro
The Situation:

I just purchased several pieces of Lodge "Pre-Seasoned" cast iron cookware. Everything I've read seems to indicate the seasoning may prevent rust, but it definitely doesn't make a "non-stick" surface.

The Plan:

I'd like to season it with flaxseed oil as outlined in this link (Thanks to John Reyes!)

The Question:

Would you recommend I try to strip off the Lodge factory seasoning first, or can I just go ahead and oil/heat, oil/heat, oil/heat.........

Thanks,

JimT

I've never seasoned Lodge pre-seasoned and doubt I'd bother. With use and proper care they become more nonstick, though this varies with pan, foods cooked, etc.

Were I going the route you're thinking I would just go ahead and season more, doing nothing to the surface prior.

I've been seasoning some of my parents' (and their parents') old cast iron cookware. Everything I've read seems to indicate that unless the piece is in bad shape, just reseason without stripping off what is already there. I agree with Kevin (who am I to argue!) - just do the season, reseason, do it again, then just cook in it, cook in it and cook in it. It seems that while the initial seasoning (re-seasoning in your case) may get the piece to the point of usability, its the cooking over time that builds up a real smooth and non-stick surface.

One comment I've seen on the new Lodge pieces is that the cooking surface isn't as smooth at the manufacturing process as older pieces, so you may want to pay special attention to seasoning the cooking surface itself to make sure you can get it as ready for cooking as possible.

Please let us know how it turns out and post some before and after pictures if you can.

Good Luck!

Pat

You shouldn't strip the old seasoning off, just reseason the pan if you feel you need to. As everyone has said, the more you (properly) use the pan the more non stick it becomes.

A good way to jump start the process is to use your cookware to deep fry something in oil. Make french fries, blintzes or potato pancakes a couple of times and you'll be well on your way to a non stick pan.

Bill

Jim I would suggest you season and cook at the same time. A great way is to make oven fries. Place your skillet in your oven and set your oven to 450 to 475 degrees F. While the oven and skillet are coming up to temperature slice up some potatoes into fries, place them in a bowl and toss them with a little cooking oil--you won't need much.

Place the potatoes in the skillet and cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Turn the potatoes over and cook for another 20 to 25 minutes until crisp. Salt the potatoes and serve. This will develop a nice patina on your skillet in no time.

I'd agree with everything that has been said before. That said, older cast iron was polished, where as the newer ones seem to be only bead blasted. This is one reason why older peices of cast iron are so sought after. One thing you can do, if you have lots of time, is to manualy polish it yourself with some some 80 grit sandpaper. This should help smooth some of the pebbling down. I've done this once before with a cheap pot, and it worked really well.

I'll add my $.02 from tidbits I have learned over the years.

You want to use trans fat oils. Evidently the tendency to stick to your arteries is also good for sticking to the cast iron. So when you are seasoning, use crisco or another fat that is solid at room temperature.

Darrell, Crisco is now making their solid shortening with 0 trans-fats:

http://www.crisco.com/Products...roupID=17&prodID=315

There goes the seasoning!
icon_wink.gif

Rita

Since Darrel bumped this post and it caught my eye, I thought I'd give y'all an update.

I took the advice of the early posters, and didn't mess with the Lodge seasoning. I've used some of the pieces, but not all, and am pleased with the results. The one exception (sort of) is the "cornbread" pan. You know, the about 10 inch skillet divided into wedges.
icon_smile.gif
I added the seasoning described below to the Lodge factory seasoning.

I did season several pieces of my older cast iron, along with the new cornbread pan using the flax seed oil and technique in my original post. I must say, I'm really impressed. This makes one tough coating!!

Give it a try.

JimT

I use Beef suet for any new Cast iron seasoning.
First I slowly get the pan / Gridle / Hot plate very hot, Then place a lump of suet on to the surface and dish it about coating all the surface. The smokier the better.
Once the fat has rendered out I pour it off, Let cool and wipe with a paper towel. Dont wash with suds and store.
Next day; Heat up your pan and chuck on some cheap sausages cook them on high heat untill they are just about black then through them out.
Let cool and wipe out. Dont wash with suds.
Day three; You are ready to cook.
To keep your "Flavour" there, Only hand wash with a mild detergent and a nylon brush. You want an oil film to remain.
I often only wipe my cast iron with a paper towel after cooking. Particularly if I know when Im going to use it next.

Back